Font for desktop file and folder names? (AFS esp.)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AES, Sep 10, 2010.

  1. AES

    AES Guest

    1) When I create or save new folders or files on the desktop of my
    MacBook running OS 10.5.8, the default typeface for the file or folder
    names is some kind of hollow or shadow font in black on white that I
    find hard to read (especially on a white desktop, which is my
    preference).

    What I usually do at some point is use Ctrl-A to select all the icons on
    the desktop and then use Finder >> File >> Label: to reset the
    background color for all the filenames to Yellow instead of "X" -- which
    seems to reset the typeface to some standard plain font also.

    Is there a way to change the default on this?

    2) My university provides us with access to the AFS file system over
    the campus net. Mounting this file system sometimes puts an "AFS file
    system" folder alias on the desktop. If this alias is present and I
    select all the icons on the desktop (including it), the Finder >> Filegimmick is blocked.

    Is this a trivial bug or just a sort of random oddity? (I can
    understand that changing the font or color for file or folder names on
    an external file system might be blocked -- but seems that an alias
    should be part of the Mac's file system, not the AFS file system.

    AES, Sep 10, 2010

  2. It's very easy to read against any backdrop other than white, and is
    therefore the default font style only for the desktop. Maybe Apple should
    have special-cased it for a white desktop, but I suspect that you might be
    the only person who has set the desktop to white. (Well, probably not the
    only person, but one of a very, very small minority.)

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 10, 2010