For Airman Thunderbird - painless m/b swap

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Yabbadoo, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Yabbadoo

    Yabbadoo Guest

    From another thread, this link (provided by Airman Thunderbird)
    http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html - procedure for m/b
    swap without re-installation grief.

    Copied into Word, printed off (and downloaded the ".reg" file).

    I have yet to receive/install the new m/b, so I'm still at the "old system"
    stage, which is working fine.

    The article says "for those who know what they're doing" ... then says,
    extract 4 system files from the latest SP, (mine is SP2), put them into
    "%SystemRoot"\System32\Drivers - NOT overwriting files already there.
    Checked - despite SP2, the files already there (in "...System32" directory
    are dated 2001, i.e SP2 files are much more current).

    I'm confused (very easily). I'm assuming "%SystemRoot%" = "C:" ('cos I don't
    have a SystemRoot directory)
    BUT - how can you copy files of same name into a directory WITHOUT
    over-writing? And, even if possible, how does XP know which file to use ?

    Second - would I be correct in thinking - this procedure is the last thing
    to do before shut-down and installing new board? (i.e can't be done in
    advance, then switch off, re-use the pc "as is", do the m/b swap later?)

    Apols for what may be dumb questions - It's my first ever m/b swap, it would
    be nice to do it without a massive re-install.

    Yabbadoo, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Yabbadoo

    Leon Rowell Guest

    As far as the files, you could rename the existing files with a .old
    extension. That way they would not be overwritten and you could always
    change the name back if needed.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Yabbadoo

    Yabbadoo Guest

    Agree - but if existing (working) system files are replaced, the new ones
    inserted (for the current system) could end up screwing existing set-up - if
    new ones were needed, surely would have been installed by SP1, SP2 and/or
    later? Also, would have been instructed to do this in the referenced
    procedure?
    I'm sort of guessing how this procedure works - my guess is that the new
    *.sys files (plus the merged registry patch) would have no effect UNTIL the
    system is shut down. And (given the procedure is for a new drive/mbd) the
    next start-up would invoke the new registry and system files ... on the new
    board. I'm wary (scared?) of doing these registry/system file changes then
    screwing things up by needing to revert to "old" system.
    Appreciate the input - sorry for my nervousness! Len.

    Yabbadoo, Jul 26, 2005
  4. What he's saying on the web page is, if the files are already there, you
    don't need to overwrite them.

    Yes, the procedure is the last thing to do before switching the drive to
    the new board. I have done the procedure, then restarted with a DOS disk
    and used GHOST or Drive Image to copy the install, then put it on a new
    hard drive in the new computer. Works the same.

    Airman Thunderbird, Jul 27, 2005
  5. I am not at all familiar with the document you refer to so I cannot
    comment much.

    things like %systemroot% are so called system variables that can get
    referenced by universal script files. On my computer, for instance,
    %systemroot% contains the value c:\windows
    You can find out the system variables by opening a command prompt
    (a.k.a.dos prompt, a.k.a. shell) and typing the word set and hitting the
    enter key. All shall be revealed.

    Other than that, I swap mobo, and keep the driver CD for the new mobo
    handy. Then I boot. Windows will want to install new drivers for all
    sorts of things, I slot the driver CD for the new mobo into the CD drive
    and tell it to go look in there. Surprisingly, that usualy works <grin>
    expecially with operating systems that are more recently than Windows 9x
    or ME. (9x and ME had the nasty habit of losing the CD drive with any
    harddrive changes and then you'd be up the creek. Workaround there was
    to copy all the install directory files from the CD to the HDD before
    changing the hardware so you didn't need the CD drive to get to them).
    You can do that in NT/XP also, it's the I386 directory that you can copy
    from the cd to the harddrive if you want. That contains most all the
    windows drivers and software.

    If you want to be super smart, you can download the latest and greatest
    drivers for your new mobo from the web, before you even get the thing,
    extract them to a directory on your harddrive, and then tell Windows to
    go look in THERE for it's new drivers. That saves you trying to patch
    the ones on the CD that might have been sitting in a warehouse for a
    year and a half ...

    good luck, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 27, 2005