For once, a pleasant download surprise...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Paul, Jun 23, 2008.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    When you use support.asus.com and do a download, I
    think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

    I managed to download at my full capped rate today!
    (A puny 300KB/sec, but that is ADSL for you.)

    On checking it out with my packet sniffer, the download
    comes from

    Akamai Technologies

    Finally - doing it right. No more screwing around with gutless
    third party hosting.

    We'll see how long it takes for Asus users to crush Akamai :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2008

  2. Paul

    gg Guest

    BTW I do find the Asus.com a lot more responsive then asus.com.tw.
    Yes there are still sometime in the evening the .com site still not that
    responsive. overwhelmed?

    gg, Jun 23, 2008

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    What I was referring to in my posting, is the download part
    of the adventure. When you connect to support.asus.com or
    support.asus.com.tw, that will be a different piece of
    equipment than where the download comes from. My announcement,
    is that the download phase, where the file is transferred
    to your computer, is now handled by Akamai. So when the
    actual download commences, it'll be faster than it used to
    be. The support web page should still be as slow as it
    was before - what is sped up, is the transfer rate
    of the download files themselves. So when you need to
    download a 100MB jumbo installer, it is now going to
    take less of your time.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2008
  4. Paul

    gg Guest

    I understood you said downloading files are faster after Acer let Akamai
    handle the ftp traffic

    I was just try to point out that web surfing experience with ASUS
    improved also with the .com instead of .tw site. Both sites used to be
    intolerably sluggish.

    In other word ASUS did try to improve our user experience with their site
    with some success

    gg, Jun 25, 2008