    have. From what I can tell it's a 64mb card like the one I have. Is the
    latter that much better to change, or is the one I have currently good
    enough and not worth the hastle of changing to this one mention here?

    The Wavester, Oct 2, 2004

  2. The Wavester

    Amethyst Guest

    It depends on what you do with your computer. The Quadro 280NVS doesn't
    support 3D hardware rendering. That equates to your favorite 3D
    intensive game running at 2-5 frames per second-- assuming it will even
    run at all.

    The Quadro NVS280, and really the Quadro line of graphics cards, are
    designed and marketed with graphical design and engineering applications
    in mind. The main advantage you would get from a Quadro NVS is the
    ability to drive one or more displays at high resolution, and hardware
    accelerated support for some special-purpose API's.

    The bottom line is that if you play games, you're better off with the
    Ti4200.

    Amethyst, Oct 2, 2004

  3. This exchange reinforces the uselessness of the term "better",
    standing alone, when used with computers/computer components.
    "Better" can only have meaning when combined with the word "for",
    and with some application or intended use for the
    computer/computer component involved. Yes, the Quadro NVS 280
    was "better" for some applications, but, in fact, "worse" for
    others. Wavester's friend was doing him no favors by not
    realizing that distinction when she made the assertion.

    Ogden Johnson III, Oct 2, 2004