force quit doesn't work, beach ball hell

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Gary Jaz, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Gary Jaz

    Gary Jaz Guest

    Using 10.3.4 on a dual 867.

    I have had trouble getting iphoto to quit, even when I do the
    option-apple-escape command. The only way to get it to leave the dock
    is by rebooting. Then iTunes started having the same trouble. After
    rebooting and trying to launch iTunes I get the message that the music
    libary file is locked or that I don't have write permission for the
    file.

    So thinking I should run repair permissions, I launched the disk
    utility. But it says its scanning the disk forever (I left and came
    back 3 hours later and still had the beach ball of death). So I can't
    repair permissions with disk utility.

    What could be the problem? Is there another repair permission
    utility?

    BTW, iphoto launches every time I put in a compact flash card to
    unload my pix, and I never use iPhoto so I wish I could turn this
    automaticity off, but the preferences don't have anything to change.

    Gary Jaz, Jul 5, 2004

  2. You sure your hard drive is healthy?

    Steven Fisher, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Try Diskwarrior. It's more useful than Disk Util.
    Open Image Capture/Prefs and see if it will become the
    default app, assuming USB card reader or similar.

    George Williams, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Gary Jaz

    Gary Jaz Guest

    How can I tell if I can't run disk utility?

    Gary Jaz, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Gary Jaz

    Mats Weber Guest

    How can I tell if I can't run disk utility?[/QUOTE]

    Restart, hold Command-S until white text on black background appears.
    When it stops, type

    fsck -fy

    followed by <return>. Repeat 0-2 times until "appears to be OK" is
    displayed. If there are errors that can't be corrected, I suggest
    backup/reinstall/restore.

    Mats Weber, Jul 6, 2004