    controller driver, then windows will reload the FIC driver. How can I get it
    to load instead the win98 driver?
    Thanks.

    jmc, Aug 19, 2003

  2. jmc

    jmc Guest

    It's OK, an uninstall is available on the CD itself. I have found that the
    win 98 drivers are much faster, but when I check the DMA for the CD-ROMs and
    use them, win falls over. Sadly it looks as if I can't use DMA. Seems
    astounding that VIA recommend using the win98 drivers when there is
    obviously a problem. The VIA drivers, although slower, seem to work with the
    CD-ROMs.

    jmc, Aug 20, 2003

  3. jmc

    farmuse Guest

    what brand CD ROM ? not all CD ROM can use DMA, and you have to use at
    least 64 MB ram to use DMA

    farmuse, Aug 23, 2003
  4. jmc

    Kyle Brant Guest

    64meg of dram is NOT required to use DMA mode, as I had DMA mode
    working for a long time with 32M and then 48M of memory on an Intel
    chipset based mobo. VIA noted in some of it's release note files that
    it's busmaster driver is needed to correct access problems with some
    cdrom and dvd drives (as I vaguely recall).

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Aug 23, 2003
  5. jmc

    John Guest

    I was under the impression that one must have 64 MB to use DMA
    effectively with 98, I mean there has to be a limit ! like what would you
    say the low end of ram would be to use DMA ? 8 MB ? just because the box is
    enabled doesn't mean it's working ~

    John, Aug 30, 2003
  6. jmc

    Kyle Brant Guest

    DMA buffers are not necessarily that large, if you peruse the System
    devices in Device Manager in win98, you can find a setting for the
    Direct Memory Access controller where you can reserve up to 64Kbytes
    for DMA buffers. How the protected mode drivers make use of DMA mode
    in hard disk interfaces is beyond my understanding of the file system
    drivers and controller chips. It is quite possible that a large data
    buffer is not required, and that the HD controller chip performs
    transfers from the HD to system memory in fairly small chunks
    (remember the ATA HD data interface is only 16 bits wide) though those
    chunks may be arriving at a high rate of speed.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    tired of spam, no email address
    | I was under the impression that one must have 64 MB to use DMA
    | effectively with 98, I mean there has to be a limit ! like what
    would you
    | say the low end of ram would be to use DMA ? 8 MB ? just because the
    box is
    | enabled doesn't mean it's working ~
    |

    | | > 64meg of dram is NOT required to use DMA mode, as I had DMA mode
    | > working for a long time with 32M and then 48M of memory on an
    Intel
    | > chipset based mobo. VIA noted in some of it's release note files
    that
    | > it's busmaster driver is needed to correct access problems with
    some
    | > cdrom and dvd drives (as I vaguely recall).
    | >
    | > --
    | > Best regards,
    | > Kyle
    | > tired of spam, no email address