Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by paintedjazz, Jul 31, 2007.

  1. paintedjazz

    paintedjazz Guest

    I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both
    text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the
    exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are
    aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more
    parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML.
    Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read
    the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not.
    It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus
    displaying a table as if it were text.

    Eudora literally skips the first section which is all text and
    surrounded by the appropriate boundaries and then reads the HTML.

    I have searched through Eudora's "Settings" and, among its endless
    prefs, no option exists (that I could find) for displaying HTML
    properly or, better yet, not trying to do so.

    p.s. My disclaimer: I don't use Eudora but I do have users who would
    rather not learn something new and, thus, I am stuck with providing
    for them.

    paintedjazz, Jul 31, 2007

  2. paintedjazz

    hellman Guest

    This probably doesn't answer your question, but is very relevant.
    Eudora was a great Mac app that I used for several years. But within
    the last year it started causing my iMac to stay awake when it should
    be sleeping. Figuring that out took some effort, and I suspect there
    are other strange behaviors that have crept in since Qualcomm stopped
    development on Eudora. From my experience, I'd have to say Eudora is a
    dead or dying app and much as I hated to learn a new mail app (Apple's
    in my case), it was worth the effort in the long run. Your clients are
    probably going to have to move sooner or later and maybe sooner,
    before they encounter real problems, is better.

    hellman, Aug 1, 2007