    my old drive) just to format it - and then move it can to the external
    case again :)

    Or is there a program that can partition/format FAT32 from inside XP?

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Lars-Erik Østerud

    frischmoutt Guest

    Ultimate Boot CD boots on a CD & emulates USB.
    Great. Everything you may need, especially aefdisk.
    Have a look on Google.
    I've been using it with USB interface connected to SATA & PATA.

    frischmoutt, Dec 13, 2006

  3. Lars-Erik Østerud

    JM Guest

    There is a little cmdline utility that will format large drives in FAT32
    from within Windows, I think it might be called fat32format.exe.
    Use it at work to format USB drives for use in Linux.

    JM, Dec 13, 2006
  4. I do have Ultimate boot CD. Do I need to run anything special on it
    before starting the Partition Manager, or will the USB support install
    automaticly. Is this supported on the 3.4 version or do I need newer?

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Dec 13, 2006
  5. Read this:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/formatting_drives_using_xp_cd.htm

    Morvin Stayner, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Partition Magic can do it.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 14, 2006
  7. Lars-Erik Østerud

    frischmoutt Guest

    It depends on the software you're launching.
    If you choose DOS / Linux boot disks (F6 from the main menu) then Free DOS
    (F1) or Open DOS (F2) for example, USB drivers will automatically be loaded.
    You may define some parameters to tune accurately the interfaces.

    With the Hard disk tools (F2 from the main menu), the programs are native so
    they don't use any USB driver.

    Take care several screens are available by hitting the right and left
    arrows. I didn't notice that at the first time.

    You seem interrested by "fdisk" and "aefdisk". They're command line programs
    accessible under USB interface from Free Dos or Open DOS.

    Mine is ver 3.4 as well.

    You may also add some other programs onto UBCD. This is another story
    needing to edit the ISO image, which I didn't go through yet. It will be my
    next step with the integration of Partition Magic8 !

    frischmoutt, Dec 14, 2006