    Is there anywhere I may have problems?

    P.S. I do not care If I void my Dell service or whatever to do this.

    Any help??

    Doolang, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Doolang

    Bob Levine Guest

    As long as it's an OEM XP CD you should be fine. A Dell CD would be best
    and if you didn't buy one with the machine, you can call Dell and I'm
    sure they will send one at no charge.

    As for drivers, there's should a folder on the harddrive and if not, you
    can download them.

    This has been discussed quite a few times. Do a bit of reading and I'm
    sure you'll find the threads.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Doolang

    M and D Guest

    What is the proper number of processes to have running, in your considered opinion?

    Is it 55? 46? 38?

    Steven

    M and D, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Doolang

    George Guest

    What does 55, 45, or 38 mean? If it's 5 it's to many. If you're happy with
    55, 45 or 38 running in the background, good, but he isn't.

    George, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Doolang

    Tom Scales Guest

    XP itself is more than 5

    Tom Scales, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Doolang

    M and D Guest

    How does the OP - or you - know that it's too many?

    The OP wants to erase their hard disk and reinstall everything, because there are too many processes running. I'd like to know: What is the right number? I mean, if someone is going to go through the bother of wiping out their hard disk and then reinstalling all their software all because of 'too many processes', you would think that, at least, they would know how many processes there should be, right?

    For that matter, how does the OP know that reinstalling will leave them with the amount of processes they think is right? Have they done a calculation?

    And you think that 5 processes running is "to many". Maybe the two of you should get together and publish your calculations, so the rest of us could benefit. Maybe my Dell is positively overrun with processes, and I would improve my computer's performance by following your wisdom.

    Steven

    M and D, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Doolang

    George Guest

    First I don't think you could follow anyones wisdom, second, 5 was a figure
    of speech. I'm just guessing, so keep that in mind, but I'd have to say a
    clean install is alot cleaner than what you would get from Dell. What do you
    think?

    George, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Doolang

    M and D Guest

    "I'm just guessing, so keep that in mind..."

    As I suspected.

    Steven

    M and D, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Doolang

    Fixer Guest

    Yep you can do what you want the way you said and you will need to load the
    DELL drivers from the dell web site or via the dell driver CD

    Fixer, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Doolang

    Doolang Guest

    Doolang, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Doolang

    Doolang Guest

    55 or 58 or whatever is alot for a brand spanking new computer. It's
    no secret that Dell loads their stuff full of useless crap before
    shipping. Like for instance, all their service and restore crap.
    Either way, I should not have 58. I actually narrowed it down to
    about 38, but still, this is way too much to be running while i'm
    recording audio. (which is what I do with it.)
    On my PC I can run programs like T-RACKS mastering for a joke. The
    PC is 1.3GH with 512 ram. My 6000 is a 1.7 with a GB of ram. T-racks
    chops and pops and blips and everthing else, I figure because all the
    other crap is running too. I think my magic processes # would be
    more like 10. Also, I did do research on the web on this issue, and
    in all the reviews I've read, one thing everyone said, is that once
    you get all the crap off it, it will run better. I also read that
    the Dell bloatware is like "an elephant sitting upon your CPU" That
    don't sound good!
    Also, i'm not wanting to do this "just because I have a bunch of
    running processes" I'm wanting to know for a few reasons.
    #1 because I know there's a ton of stuff hidden in there that I don't
    want on my expensive laptop!
    #2 If you owned a computer for awhile, you should know that someday
    sooner than later, you WILL need to format.
    #3 I want to be in charge of what's on MY laptop, not DELL! I'm the
    one paying out the ass for the next 4 years! I should be able to wipe
    it clean and install only the stuff I need.

    Doolang, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Doolang

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    No, my friend, it is you who do not know what you are talking about. Some
    examples:

    "...because I know there's a ton of stuff hidden in there that I don't want
    on my expensive laptop!"
    If it's hidden, how do you know it's there?

    "...#2 If you owned a computer for awhile, you should know that someday
    sooner than later, you WILL need to format."
    I've owned computers since 1997 and I've never had to format.

    Look, take Steven/M and D's advice: Don't make vague, unsupported
    declarations.

    Ted Zieglar, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Doolang

    Tom Scales Guest

    I agree with him. You should always have the CD/DVD. I reformat and
    reinstall regularly. If you don't, it sloooooows down.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Doolang

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    My home computer is still very fast, and I have never reinstalled. My work
    computer - which gets used more heavily than my home computer - is very
    fast, and it has never been reinstalled. An XP computer in the hands of
    someone who knows how to use it well is stable and runs quickly. I have the
    proof right in front of me.

    And there's no secret to keeping a computer in top shape. All it takes is
    reading skills and the right attitude. Anyone can do it.

    But if you are convinced that "If you don't [reinstall], it sloooooows
    down", then reinstall to your heart's content. I'd rather spend the time
    taking my kid to the playground.

    Ted Zieglar, Jan 4, 2006
  15. Doolang

    Notan Guest

    Well, I'll give you this much... You *do* have an attitude.

    Notan

    Notan, Jan 4, 2006
  16. Doolang

    Doolang Guest

    Ted Zieglarwrote:
    No, my friend, it is you who do not know what you are talking about.
    Some
    said anything about anyone not knowing what they are talking about!
    [email protected] nerd! Anyways, thanks for the help to those who were
    helpful, Ted, go for some reading lessons! I've had computers since
    95!! I also know how to keep them running very well without anyones
    help! I'm new to laptops so I wanted to be clear on my questions! So
    I made this thread.
    format at least once a year and start fresh! In your case(internet
    Kiddie porn) you may not have to format as often.(unless you want to
    go to jail!)
    [/QUOTE]

    Doolang, Jan 4, 2006
  17. Doolang

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Lol...when left with nothing intelligent to say, all you can do is pitch
    insults. More proof of how little you know.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    [/QUOTE]

    Ted Zieglar, Jan 4, 2006
  18. Doolang

    Notan Guest

    Pot? Kettle? Black?

    Your comment, "All it takes is reading skills and the right attitude,"
    had an obvious insulting and condescending tone to it.

    Notan

    Notan, Jan 4, 2006
  19. Doolang

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    I acquired that attitude early in my computing hobby, when my exploits made
    Dell support techs laugh so hard they would pee in their pants. Like the
    time I put a hard disk in backwards.

    So I decided: Enough. I'm going to learn how to do things right. It's been
    smooth sailing ever since.

    Ted Zieglar, Jan 4, 2006
  20. Doolang

    Notan Guest

    Despite what you'r mother may have told you, there are people, out there,
    that know more than you.

    Unless you know what people are loading onto their systems, it's ignorant
    to suggest that a clean OS install isn't necessary to improve performance.

    Notan

    Notan, Jan 4, 2006