    I do this and more.

    So get off your soapbox.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Doolang

    Doolang Guest

    Ahhhhhhh?????????? I do believe that YOU are the one that threw the
    first insults, ya geek! AND I QUOTE!!!

    "No, my friend, it is you who do not know what you are talking about."

    (I don't know where that came from. You must have been reading
    another thread and got mixed up)

    AND.....

    "Don't make vague, unsupported declarations."
    Uhhhhm....seems like I got some support therefore I didn't.

    I was on here looking for help and this is what you came up with.
    Did you ever hear this before?? "If you don't have anything
    constructive to say, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL!

    P.S. I'm interested in what you actually do with your computer.(other
    than kiddie porn) Are you running some serious Note Pad action??
    Oooohhh, maybe you're even checking your e-mail and browsing the
    internet with it as well. Also, how much pro audio have you
    recorded with your machines?? Alot I bet! Therefore you must know
    all about it. If not, maybe you should speak when spoken to instead
    of rambling off about how smart you are!

    Love Doolang

    Doolang, Jan 4, 2006

  3. I'm sorta with Tom on this one, reformatting with a M$ disk can get
    you a clean OS that will run a bit better. After a while, bit-rot
    sets in, and it's better to do a clean install (and then a couple of
    hours of security upgrades) than to try to clean up.

    Note that rebuilding with a Dell disk, recovery disk, or recovery
    partition may get you all the original Dell dreck that they installed
    when the system was new, though many Dell disks are essentially
    rebranded M$ disks.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Doolang

    Doolang Guest

    Tom Scaleswrote:
    You know Ted, I'm really tired of your holier than thou attitude. I

    LOL!!! I'm new here, and I see this must not be an isolated
    occurance.
    YOU TELL EM TOM!!

    "You don't know what you are talking about, because you don't know how
    I use
    my computer. Obviously I use it differently than you do, installing
    and
    uninstalling many, many programs. That leaves crap. No way around
    it."

    EXACTAMUNDO!

    Doolang, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Doolang

    George Guest

    Doolang,
    formatting are re-installing is the smart thing to do in my opinion, but
    only you can make up your mind on that matter.
    if i had a new Dell, this is one of the first things i would do after i
    made sure it ran, had all the drivers and software i wanted.

    boy, it sure doesn't take long to figure out who the clowns and jerks are in
    a newsgroup, does it Ted, and M and D?

    [/QUOTE]

    George, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Doolang

    Tom Scales Guest

    With the XP Disk it won't. Dell's CD/DVD (DVD for MCE) are just XP

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Doolang

    Box134 Guest

    Have you considered uninstalling the sh":t you don't want? I had some
    MacAfee security suite (or similar) pre-loaded. I had my own plans so I got
    rid of that. I shall probably do the same with Realplayer and a few other
    things.

    If you use a Dell restore disk you might get back the things you don't want.
    I've used an ancient Compaq and a Dell 8?00 with plain VLK XP Pro with no
    problems, so you should be able to install. You never know, you might lose a
    few specailized items, only way to know is try it.

    Box134, Jan 5, 2006
  8. Doesn't always work. Try uninstalling Norton sometime, and then check
    out your running processes.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 5, 2006
  9. Doolang

    Doolang Guest

    Yeah.I uninstalled everthing! All the Dell stuff, antivirus, all the
    mediaplayers, burning software, ect, etc, etc. I don't want to use
    any of it! Got my own. I Did call Dell today and they are sending
    me a WinXP home disc. Free of charge. I guess my question is, will a
    regular XP dischave all the drivers I need?

    Doolang, Jan 5, 2006
  10. No, but it'll get everything running, and then you can goto Dell
    and/or Intel to supplement those and get all the speed enhancements
    you'll get with the proper drivers.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 5, 2006
  11. Doolang

    Leigh Guest

    Doolang,

    When I ordered my Ispiron 6000 I ordered the XP disk also. My Ispiron came
    with 4 disks. It arrived with a Dell XP SP2, Dell drivers and utilities,
    Norton Internet Security, and WorkPerfect Productivity Pack. After I did a
    complete reinstallation of XP I used their drivers and utilities disk to
    replace of the necessary drivers.

    This worked out very well. After the reinstall, I realized that I did not
    have Dell's CyberLink PowerDVD that was originally installed. I called Dell
    and they sent the disk.

    I hope this help,

    Leigh

    Leigh, Jan 5, 2006
  13. Doolang

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    "Holier than thou" and "get off your soapbox" are smoke screens, so you wont
    have to defend your assertion that if someone doesn't regularly reinstall
    all the software on their computer "it sloooooows down".

    If you are someone who does programming, betas complex systems, etc.
    shouldn't you have pointed out to the group that you're unlike 99% of
    computer users?

    Don't pass off vague, unproven assertions as fact. Why you'd want to do that
    in the first place is beyond me, since everyone who's been in this group for
    a while knows you have a respectable amount of hard knowledge to share.
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    Ted Zieglar, Jan 5, 2006
  14. Doolang

    Notan Guest

    You've pushed the fact that your way is *the* way...

    "An XP computer in the hands of someone who knows how to use it well is
    stable and runs quickly. I have the proof right in front of me.

    And there's no secret to keeping a computer in top shape. All it takes
    is reading skills and the right attitude. Anyone can do it."

    Others (including me) have said that, for them, a fresh OS install is
    the best way to go.

    You have no idea what others install on their systems. Or uninstall.

    I try various programs and, if I like them, keep them. Many, however,
    aren't to my liking, and get uninstalled. Over time, I see a visible
    degradation in response time, along with conflicts between various
    programs. My solution, and it's really very easy, is to wipe my drive(s)
    and reinstall only the programs that I'm happy with.

    While *your* solution works for you, other solutions work for others.

    Why is that so hard for you to understand?

    Notan

    Notan, Jan 5, 2006
  15. Doolang

    Doolang Guest

    Ted! I'm sorry to say this, but you have no idea what you are talking
    about! You still havn't answered my question on your computer use.
    What do you use it for? I, like others have mentioned, install and
    uninstall tons of different programs, and run some serious CPU
    hogging software. You can argue until you're blue in the face, but
    you'll always be wrong on this subject. You obviously don't do much
    with your systems, therefore you don't have to deal with
    reinstalling/formatting/whatever. If Notepad and the internet were
    the only things I used, then i'm sure I wouldn't need to format
    either! So, how's about you politely SHUT THE [email protected] UP and head back
    the D&D website where you came from ya [email protected] ubernerd
    knowitall!! You're just making yourself look like more of an idiot
    that you already were. I don't think one person on this thread has
    agreed with you, except Steven or whatever the hell his name is.
    Seems like a moron too!

    P.S. Yes, I know insult throwing gets ya nowhere, but it makes me
    feel alot better, especially when aimed at a DOUCHEBAG like yourself!

    Doolang, Jan 5, 2006
  16. Doolang

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, Ted, I see you ignored that fact that you're a pompous ass.

    My belief is that even for an average use, an annual reinstall is worth it.
    You don't agree. Tough Sh**

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2006
  17. Doolang

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Whatever you say, Tom. Our posts speak for themselves. Truce?

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    Ted Zieglar, Jan 5, 2006
  18. Doolang

    Tom Scales Guest

    Sure, why not.

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2006
  19. Doolang

    Dennis Guest

    What is the proper number of processes to have running, in your considered
    The actual number isn't important as much as what they are doing (many are
    simply loaded and doing nothing.) I currently have 61 running and have no
    problems at all.

    I've found that certain programs tend to be the real problem, programs like
    Norton's System Works and all Antivirus programs. Turn these off and see if
    you don't get an improvement (of course we can't live without these, but it
    would be nice if they did a re-write and got the ever-growing list of
    definitions back down in size.)

    Another problem program is ZoneAlarm Pro. More often than not any failure to
    connect can be traced to the firewall (it loses the state table after a
    suspend cycle and sometimes after the screensaver activates. Poof, no more
    Internet until it's disabled.)

    It's good to trim the deadwood out of the system occasionally, but be
    absolutely certain as to what your removing (there are programs available
    that will read your system and tell you exactly what's running and if you
    should consider removing it from starting when the computer starts. I've
    trimmed about 6 months ago and didn't really notice any difference, but it
    didn't hurt either. So don't fuss about 'how' many processes are running and
    look closer at exactly 'what' those process are.

    Spyware is notorious for slowing a machine down and some of the new ones
    can't be detected by any program .... yet. I've read that a single spyware
    program can pop off 10% to 30% of your performance; and if you have two or
    three of these little darlings' choking your machine, they can be sucking
    off as much as 50% of your process power. Use two or three different
    programs to check for spyware first, then prune out the deadwood.

    (And don't worry about the actual number, it's meaningless to think in that
    mindset.)

    Dennis, Jan 6, 2006