    documents remotely and masterminding updated versions of the iPod, iPad,
    iPhone and MacBooks, ensuring at least four years’ worth of products are in
    the pipeline, according to Apple sources.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 8, 2011

  2. What a strange obituary. E.g.:

    "It was also revealed today that Jobs fought hard to get plans approved
    for a spaceship-style company headquarters in California."

    The discussions about the project at Cupertino city Hall have been on
    the net for months. Some kind of Swam Lake song project.

    OTOH, if the iPhone 4s was designed by a dying man, it's easier now to
    understand why it is lame. (Cf. "Dismayonnaised" in comp.sys.mac.system)

    Paul Morgan Wesley, Oct 8, 2011

  3. The iPhone4s is hardly lame. There are a myriad of improvements, one of
    which will be interesting to see how it works in real life (the
    antenna-switching scheme that offers the possibility of more-reliable
    use as a *phone*, what a concept!). The new camera functionality &
    faster speed alone would be enough for most companies to claim "new
    model" and not mildly-updated status. Plus better battery life, a big
    thing for a lot of folk.

    But three things worked against the iPhone4s being seen for the phone it
    should-

    #1: New improved guts in same old case. Dumb.
    #2: Mismanaged expectations. This was the first Apple product in recent
    memory where the most-fantastic rumors didn't hold to be true. When
    rumors got so wildly out of hand, Apple should have stepped in and
    factually discredited them. How far out of touch with reality did the
    rumors get? How about the Wall Street Journal reporting that Sprint paid
    $20 billion to be the exclusive carrier for the iPhone5?
    #3: Calling it the iPhone4s instead of iPhone5.

    I'm sure there are good reasons for all of those, but whatever they
    were, they weren't good enough, and Apple has built expectations out of
    a history of knocking everything out of the park.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Oct 10, 2011
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    right, it has a slew of improvements.
    if they changed the case then all the existing accessories would no
    longer fit, like cases, docks and other stuff.
    boy genius came up with that claim, not the wall street journal.
    get a marker pen and write a big 5 on the back. does the name make that
    much of a difference to you?
    like selling 200,000 in 12 hours on at&t alone, more than any other
    iphone launch? and then there's verizon and sprint.

    Guest, Oct 10, 2011
  5. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Image stabilisation for movies will also be interesing, if it works.

    And this is where "under new management" questions arise. Was it Steve
    Jobs himself who made the leaks to control/manage the rumours to
    *properly* hype products ?

    I wouldn't be susprised if the $20b Sprint deal story was concucted by a
    competitor and leaked to WSJ. (or to whomever got the story first).

    The WSJ lost a lot of credibility by publishing it though.

    The problem is that it is likely that Steve Jobs had given a "wink wink
    nudge nudge" to some employee to make the controlled leaks. But at the
    same time, Jobs and others were very publicly punishing anyone caught
    leaking anything. So those employees who worked covertly for Jobs would
    no longer do it and might not walk up to Tim Cook and announce
    themselves as the one who were leaking info on behalf of Jobs in the past.

    Tim Cook was naive to think that announcing that the event was held in
    their own *small* auditorium would set expectations of a small product
    refresh instead of a brand new revolutionary phone. Wild rumours had
    already been circulating for quite some time before Apple even made the
    invites to media.

    When Jobs unveiled the 4, he mentioned something akin to "many of you
    have seen photos on the internet and may be worndering what those black
    lines are on the casing... (and explains the separate antennas).

    Apple was fully aware of what rumours and pictures were circulating.

    When the prototype that was likely meant to a journalist was taken at
    the bar by someone else Apple should have made arrrangements for the
    journalist to get another one.

    One possibility however is that Apple deliberatly let this wild
    speculation go to discredit such speculation so that next time around,
    the media will speculate much less about a new model and perhaps this
    way, Apple won't have to make controlled leaks (when leaks are strictly
    prohibited) to manage media expectations.

    On the other hand, total silence about future model will not create
    hype/excitement about it and Apple loses a lot of marketing value.

    Only time will tell how Apple will manage the net iphone launch.

    Hey ! I thought of you. Just got a Contour camera for my bike.

    JF Mezei, Oct 10, 2011
  6. Michelle Steiner

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2011-10-10 03:30:47 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    [commenting on the supposed negatives of the iPhone 4s]
    The existing case, the one that is the same as the iPhone 4, is well
    designed and, in my opinion, quite elegant. I see no reason for Apple
    to emulate the automobile industry and make style changes just for the
    sake of trying to make something seem new. I have the most recent iMac
    and the case is identical to previous models. The case, to me, is
    elegant and practical and didn't need a change just for the sake of
    change.

    TaliesinSoft, Oct 10, 2011
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Your Name Guest

    Nothing new there. Apple has done it with the iPhone and iPods Touch, as
    well as their computers, but they aren't alone - many manufacturers do the
    same thing.

    Really?!?! I'm not sure which planet you live on, but here on Earth no
    product ever released by ANY company has ever met all the "most-fantastic"
    rumours.

    Apple never makes any comment on unreleased products, whether that's to
    confirm or deny rumours.

    The iPhone 4S is a "speed bump" release, just like the iPhone 3GS was.

    Technically Apple should simply drop the numbers entirely and have just
    the names "iPhone" and "iPad", just like they do with all the other
    products they make.

    Apple never builds expectations. It's the media that builds expectations,
    and as usual the media got it almost completely wrong - if you want to
    blame the real culprits, aim their way.

    Your Name, Oct 10, 2011
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Tim McNamara Guest

    BTW you're responding to a known troll with dozens of nyms. He's only
    marginally more sane than kolldata... (although I've suspected Gene's
    apparently derangement is an act).
    There I have to disagree with you; a new case creates all sorts of
    design and development problems, whereas swapping in a new processor and
    such isn't so complicated.

    However, I think there was clear disappointment in large part because of
    what you write below:
    The WSJ ceased to be a factual reporter of business news years ago.
    Damned shame.
    The iPhone 5 would have required a new case, I think, which immediately
    visually differentiated it from the iPhone 4. People would have been
    really peeved if this product was called the iPhone 5.
    Not everything (Newton, anyone?) but enough grand slams to make most of
    us forget about the less successful ones.

    OT: how's Jobst?

    Tim McNamara, Oct 10, 2011
  9. The leaks came from contractors and subcontractors, not from within Apple.
    At least not with Apple's corporate approval (tacit or not). I've known
    people who were fired from Apple for making leaks.
    It is highly unlikely that he or any other high-level executive gave any
    such thing.
    The reason they held it there was that it was Cook's first product intro as
    CEO; a smaller venue let him dip his foot into the pool, as it were,
    instead of jumping into the deep end.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 10, 2011
  10. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    The reason they held it there was that it was Cook's first product intro as
    CEO; a smaller venue let him dip his foot into the pool, as it were,
    instead of jumping into the deep end.[/QUOTE]

    and because moscone was booked long ago.

    Guest, Oct 10, 2011
  11. On 10/09/2011 11:30 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    zip!

    As I said: Cf. "Dismayonnaised" in comp.sys.mac.system
    I do understand that posting this out of context is advantageous for a
    Maccie Freakie. :)

    Compared to the upcoming (in 2 weeks, 1 month) Nexus Prime and Samsung
    Galaxy S3:

    Still no Adobe Flash
    Probably weaker CPU (1GH vs 1.2 or 1.5 GHz)
    Smaller screen, no 720p
    No 4G
    Etc.

    A lamie. Won't fly.

    Paul M Westley, Oct 10, 2011
  12. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    I concurr.

    Interestingly, my iphone 4 dates from antennagate and I got the free
    bumper with it. I have it on almost all the time because at the end of
    the day it protects the unit from falls etc. But it ruins the high
    quality precise piece of engineering , high quality device look into a
    cheap plastic toy look.

    JF Mezei, Oct 10, 2011
  13. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    There is a difference here. Apple has a unified product line, so any
    changes are easily noticed.

    HTC has a gazillion models, basically one "exclusive" model per network,
    but they are all very similar to each other and when they do product
    tweaks, it is much harder to really know because they usually release
    the tweak to one network, then rename it and change slightly for another
    network and so on. Hard to keep track of.

    Officially correct.

    You are being naive. Don't think for a minute that Apple hasn't fed
    rumours in the past. It is/was part of their marketing strategy.
    Officially, they'll deny it, but we all know they do/did it.

    In the past, Apple was excellent at building and managing expectations
    without maming any official statements. And rarely were people/media
    disapointed in a product launch.

    JF Mezei, Oct 10, 2011
  14. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Is this is where the rubber meets the road. is the smart phone market
    not mature with only incremental tweaks to the technology and form
    factor to come ? If so, it is quite possible that the iphone 4 case
    might last a number of years, with significant rework of what's inside.

    In one of the youtube videos of jobs I posted a few days ago, Jobs
    mentioned that one reason that Apple succeeded with music players where
    japanese failed was software.

    And at the end of the day, work on IOS may become more important in
    keeping the iphone ahead of the competition than improvements to hardware.

    Note: adding LTE is something media is looking for, but that will not
    change anything to you and me. Just another tech to exchange data,
    except this one will be priced at a premium and will let you reach your
    monthaly usage limit in 2.3 seconds instead of 10 minutes of use.

    JF Mezei, Oct 10, 2011
  15. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Cook had introduced the CDMA iPhone in February. This wasn't his first
    time making keynotes.

    JF Mezei, Oct 10, 2011
  16. Cook had introduced the CDMA iPhone in February. This wasn't his first
    time making keynotes.[/QUOTE]

    The introduction of the CDMA iPhone was a Verizon event, not an Apple
    event. Cook wasn't in charge, nor was he the main presenter.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 10, 2011
  17. You don't know any such thing. But please continue; your fantasies about
    Apple are very entertaining.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 10, 2011
  18. and because moscone was booked long ago.[/QUOTE]

    Well, they always had the option of the Yerba Buena Center, the San Jose
    Convention Center, or even the Flint Center at DeAnza College; all of which
    have a greater capacity than Apple's Town Hall.

    BTW, the Flint Center is where they introduced the Macintosh.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 10, 2011
  19. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    Will not ever happen with iOS. HTML5 supersedes Flash.
    The iPhone 4 has already broken pre-order records.

    ( 1M ordered in first 24 hours breaking prev. iPhone record of 600K in
    24 hours).

    Alan Browne, Oct 10, 2011
  20. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    Au contraire. People expected the iPhone 5. So call it that. Then the
    existing case would remain the summum of package design* with a new
    processor, CDMA, Siri, faster graphics, "world phone", etc.

    Marketing is very psychological and Apple have been brilliant at it as
    well as making mistakes. In calling this the 4S, they made a tactical
    error, IMO.

    They have the 5 in the development queue - absolutely no doubt about
    that. And now it will have to be mind bogglingly better than the 4S.

    *I wish they'd come out with a less slick body. I originally did not
    want to desecrate the case with a cover. But the back of the iPhone 4
    is so frictionless on most surfaces that it was flying all over the
    place, esp. in my car. Within a few days I bought a "sticky" hard
    rubber back and side case. Eventually I added a screen protector (got a
    free set from my cell-phone provider).

    Alan Browne, Oct 10, 2011