    Tangentially, is there term-of-art for the board I'm looking
    for?

    Knowing nothing else, I'd say "ATX, 4 slots, Socket 775"....

    (PeteCresswell), May 17, 2011

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Andy Guest

    Andy, May 18, 2011

  3. Per Andy:
    Thanks.

    "Micro ATX" was the magic word I was searching for.

    The CPU's ancestry seems tb in question (viz
    http://tinyurl.com/3v8xtr4), it looks like I'll have to buy a new
    heat sink too, and also it's not impossible that a defective CPU
    was part of the problem this box was trashed.

    In that context - and I think I'll just suck it up and buy a new
    CPU along with the board.

    (PeteCresswell), May 18, 2011
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    OK, try this. Clean off the thermal paste from the processor.
    You can carefully wipe the first bit with a paper towel or Kleenex.
    Then, take another cloth and put a bit of isopropyl alcohol on it,
    and clean up the residue. Isopropyl is not the correct solvent,
    but it won't hurt anything you splash it on. There are much
    stronger solvents, but they can damage electronics you splash
    them on.

    If you want real chemicals for cleanup, you can get a two bottle
    kit like this. At least one of these bottles, contains the right
    solvent. Isopropyl is just a liquid to push the stuff around with.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

    Some pre-applied materials are phase change, and are a solid at
    room temperature. I've had at least one computer, where I had to
    scrape the damn stuff off (which isn't really a good way to do it),
    because I couldn't get it off otherwise. Isopropyl didn't help
    me that day.

    In any case, the objective is to look underneath. This is a picture
    of one way to mark a processor. In the center, you can see the SSPEC
    code of "SL7PU".

    http://cdn.cpu-world.com/Images/uploaded/0000/15/L_00001509.jpg

    Don't give up yet :)

    Paul

    Paul, May 18, 2011
  5. Per Paul:
    Bingo: http://tinyurl.com/3zegs6h

    Thanks for pointing out what shb obvious.... I saw the first set
    of numbers and just assumed.....

    Anybody got a take on how ancient/recent this one is?

    (PeteCresswell), May 18, 2011
  6. (PeteCresswell), May 18, 2011
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    Andy Guest

    Andy, May 19, 2011
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    Given that it is Core 2 and LGA775, anything shipping new today
    should work with it. You might, with some bad luck, be able to
    buy a used LGA775 motherboard from Ebay which didn't support it,
    but anything you can find for sale today would likely be OK.

    Go to Newegg, select motherboards, Intel, LGA775, microATX, then
    list the search result by price or by rating. If you select the
    one which is slightly over $100, that will be a full sized
    9.6" x 9.6" motherboard. A $50 board will only have room for
    two DIMMs, and be 9.6" x 7.0". Select one with the onboard
    peripherals and I/O plate connectors you want.

    Then, visit the motherboard maker site, and check the CPUSupport
    chart for that motherboard.

    The E6550 is FSB1333, and a really ancient motherboard (like
    my Asrock 4Core board with FSB1066 limitation), would not be
    a good match. But anything produced half way through the span
    of LGA775 products, should support FSB1333. Available
    microATX LGA775 motherboards today, will either use DDR2
    or DDR3 RAM (but not both), so take care to match the RAM
    type, or be prepared to spend another $50 on new RAM.

    Since you're fitting the motherboard to a strange case, it's up
    to you to do a mechanical inspection, and see if placement of the
    CPU cooler on the new LGA775 socket location, conflicts with
    other mechanical structures inside the case. For example, a
    BTX computer case, would not be a good project case for
    an ATX motherboard, because the casing is "backwards". So use
    your skills to analyse it for fit, before buying it.

    You'll need some fresh paste when fitting the heatsink/fan to the
    new CPU, so that's something else you should purchase if you don't
    already have some.

    Paul

    Paul, May 19, 2011