    Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to run
    others like Turbotax?

    Any thoughts?

    Frank, Dec 7, 2012

  2. Frank

    BillW50 Guest

    On 12/7/2012 11:26 AM, Frank wrote:

    > Just saw this on his Facebook:
    >
    > Dad's 6 year old PC had a virus & was inoperable...Three hours later,
    > its a system restore to factory settings , patch updates, and it runs
    > like a dog.....New Computer ? Another restore ? Ubuntu to the
    > rescue....30 minutes later a perfectly fine running desktop running free
    > Linux...taking down the evil empire 1 PC at a time...
    >
    > Can I live with Linux?
    >
    > Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to run
    > others like Turbotax?
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    My mentors said in the 70's, to pick the applications that you want to
    run and then pick the OS that will run them. And for me at Least, Linux
    just doesn't have the applications that I want to run. I do have Linux a
    couple of spare computers. Although they don't do much for me except
    email, newsgroups, and web browsing.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v12.0.1

    BillW50, Dec 8, 2012

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On 12/8/2012 4:08 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    > On 12/7/2012 11:26 AM, Frank wrote:
    >>
    >> Just saw this on his Facebook:
    >>
    >> Dad's 6 year old PC had a virus & was inoperable...Three hours later,
    >> its a system restore to factory settings , patch updates, and it runs
    >> like a dog.....New Computer ? Another restore ? Ubuntu to the
    >> rescue....30 minutes later a perfectly fine running desktop running free
    >> Linux...taking down the evil empire 1 PC at a time...
    >>
    >> Can I live with Linux?
    >>
    >> Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to run
    >> others like Turbotax?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > My mentors said in the 70's, to pick the applications that you want to
    > run and then pick the OS that will run them. And for me at Least, Linux
    > just doesn't have the applications that I want to run. I do have Linux a
    > couple of spare computers. Although they don't do much for me except
    > email, newsgroups, and web browsing.

    Have not had detailed discussion with my son yet but he told Mom that my
    MS Vista was bloated with tasks and was the problem. I had bought it
    with only 1 gig memory and it was slow and I added 2 gigs more.

    I'm probably going to sideline the old GW and get new, not sure what
    brand. Carbonite has already told me that I cannot restore my files to
    a different OS and I was going to drop them when my subscription runs
    out in the end of January to use CDS's and a backup plug in hard drive
    but that may only work with Windows too.

    I also discovered with wife's Toshiba lap top I'm using that internet
    connection speed test gave 3X speed of old GW.

    I appreciate your advice.

    Frank, Dec 8, 2012
  4. Frank

    Ken Whiton Guest

    *-* On Fri, 07 Dec 2012, at 12:26:21 -0500,
    *-* In Article <k9t8rp$dmm$>,
    *-* Frank wrote
    *-* About Frank Jr's restore

    > Just saw this on his Facebook:

    > Dad's 6 year old PC had a virus & was inoperable...Three hours
    > later, its a system restore to factory settings , patch updates, and
    > it runs like a dog.....New Computer ? Another restore ? Ubuntu to
    > the rescue....30 minutes later a perfectly fine running desktop
    > running free Linux...taking down the evil empire 1 PC at a time...

    > Can I live with Linux?

    > Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to
    > run others like Turbotax?

    > Any thoughts?

    You might take a look at Wine, which enables most Windows
    programs to run under Linux.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29>
    <http://www.winehq.org/>

    Ken Whiton
    --
    FIDO: 1:132/152
    InterNet: (remove the obvious to reply)

    Ken Whiton, Dec 9, 2012
  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On 12/9/2012 3:09 AM, Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Fri, 07 Dec 2012, at 12:26:21 -0500,
    > *-* In Article <k9t8rp$dmm$>,
    > *-* Frank wrote
    > *-* About Frank Jr's restore
    >
    >> Just saw this on his Facebook:

    >> Dad's 6 year old PC had a virus & was inoperable...Three hours
    >> later, its a system restore to factory settings , patch updates, and
    >> it runs like a dog.....New Computer ? Another restore ? Ubuntu to
    >> the rescue....30 minutes later a perfectly fine running desktop
    >> running free Linux...taking down the evil empire 1 PC at a time...

    >> Can I live with Linux?

    >> Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to
    >> run others like Turbotax?

    >> Any thoughts?

    > You might take a look at Wine, which enables most Windows
    > programs to run under Linux.
    >
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29>
    > <http://www.winehq.org/>
    >
    > Ken Whiton

    Decided to just get a new GW.
    Linux converted machine would not go on line through wifi or new wifi
    card from son. He had got it up on ethernet connection and while two
    machine in house are wired, this one is remote from modem. Vendor says
    backup drive I bought to supplant Carbonite will not work with Linux.
    Just too many hoops to jump through to use Linux.
    Besides old GW is 6 years old which is probably 100 in computer years.
    New with Windows 8 comes with 6 gigs of ram expandable to 32 and
    terabyte HD which at my age, may last for life ;)

    Frank, Dec 10, 2012