    consumer safety laws? Where can I find out?

    Thank you very much for any info.

    (and thanks for the replies to my previous posts)

    Inquirer, Jul 10, 2006

  2. First, are you talking about the cord from the wall socket to the
    adapter, or the cord from the adapter to the laptop (it makes a big
    difference).

    No, it doesn't violate any specific laws to sell it. In this country,
    you can generally sell anything you want, even if it's unsafe. You
    might become liable for damages if it later caused injury or damage, but
    the act of selling it is not illegal.

    Should there be injury or damages, an IGNORANT buyer might have grounds
    for a lawsuit for damages. In your case, however, you recognized that
    it was damaged and dangerous, so if you then use it anyway knowing that
    to be the case, you have probably re-assumed the liability from the
    seller. You do still have grounds for classical misrepresentation
    actions against the seller, but that's probably your only recourse.

    If it's the cord from the adapter to the wall, it's a $3 to $6 item
    (Radio Shack has the most common types). If it's the permanently
    attached cord from the adapter to the laptop, it's a more difficult
    repair, and it might be necessary to replace the AC adapter.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 11, 2006