From PII 450 to AMD 2800, now windows won't run...

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Paul, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    ...just "re-did" my puter, was an PII 450, now an AMD 2800+ on a new mobo,
    NF7S ver 2, w/ 512 duel channel Kingston 3200's. Added a 128 8x video card.
    Only problem is now nothing works!! can only get into BIOS, windows won't
    load, says to check my hard drive and remove any cnew controllers. that's
    it! I'm obviously missing something here, What do I have to do when going
    from a Pii to an AMD to get windows (xp pro) to run?? can't boot from cd-
    rom, nothing! need some help here... tia......

    Paul, Jan 4, 2004

  2. It was a dark and stormy night, and Paul managed to scribble:
    Windows XP has a hardware abstraction layer that means you need to reinstall.

    Go linux!

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Paul

    NewUser001 Guest

    reinstall operating system :):)

    NewUser001, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Paul

    ICee Guest

    Not surprising. XP does not like that at *all*. You might get away
    with it with 98/SE or even ME, but not XP.
    As others have said...reinstall (from scratch).

    ICee, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Paul

    Pug Fugley Guest

    1) Reformat

    2) Reinstall

    You can't just put all new stuff in with XP and expect it to run. It don't
    work like that.

    Pug Fugley, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Paul

    Spear Guest

    Drop the hdd back on the P2 system change the ide controller to the generic
    one shut down switch put the drive back and start up. should work... done it
    before.

    Spear, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Paul

    Doughnut Guest

    Either do as "Spear Said" or if you can get it to boot from the cd, opt for
    a repair installation, that will sort it out but you'll have to download all
    your updates again.

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Many thanks people, I appreciate your time and help, will do as you suggest
    and report back to the group and let you know how I make out. Really looking
    forward to going from my PII 450 to my unlocked 2800+, will be back for more
    help, I'm sure! Thanks again..

    Paul, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Paul

    Pug Fugley Guest

    That won't clear out all the old drivers and registry entries though. That
    has to be done, and the only way to do it is with a clean install.

    Pug Fugley, Jan 4, 2004
  10. If you can get your P][ system running again, go into the device mangler and
    delete the PCI bus. That will make Windoze reinstall evberything. Works a
    little better than the repair option.

    At first when you said that Windoze won't run, I was going to ask you, "so,
    what's the problem?" That's what my son told me the last time my ex wanted a
    separation. :cool:

    Nearl J Icarus, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Paul

    Graeme Ellis Guest

    Oh, BTW you'll have to re-activated XP again.
    Use the Phone not the internet, you only get two chances period to do a
    re-activation over the net.
    I'll assume you're legit.

    Graeme Ellis, Jan 5, 2004