Front Panel Audio Connections

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Paul, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi,

    I've just finished buiding a new computer based around an Asus A7V8X-X
    motherboard. The case the used was supplied by CCL Computers (Model
    9950) but did not come with any info listing what the cables in the
    case were for and/or how or where they should be connected. This has
    not proven to be much of a problem as most connections are obvious,
    however the same cannot be said for the Front Panel Audio connections.
    Basically I'm having trouble determining what individual lead needs to
    be plugged on to what pin on the motherboard.

    There are two cables from the case that I need to connect to the
    motherboard in order to make use of the case's front Headphone and
    Microphone sockets...

    Cable 1:

    MIC-PWR
    MIC-IN
    GROUND
    RET-R

    Cable 2:

    R-OUT
    L-OUT
    RET-L

    On the motherbard I have...

    MIC2 : AGND
    MICPWR : +5VA
    Line Out_R---BLINE_OUT_R
    NC : <no pin>
    Line Out_L---BLINE_OUT_L

    --- = Connected to each other by a jumper.

    Now looking at what I have I would say the connections should be...

    MIC-PWR -> MICPWR
    MIC-IN -> MIC2 (or +5VA?)
    GROUND -> AGND

    RET-R -> BLINE_OUT_R ?
    R-OUT -> Line Out_R ?
    L-OUT -> Line Out_L ?
    RET-L -> BLINE_OUT_L ?

    Either way you still end up with 2 connections on the motherboard that
    are not used?

    Can anyone offer any advice as to the correct connections? Thanks in
    advance. :)

    Paul, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    The "NC" pin on the motherboard stands for "No Connection", meaning
    the pin is not electrically connected. The +5VA is a direct connection
    to the +5 rail. Neither pin needs to be connected.

    MICPWR is connected to +5 on the motherboard but with a current
    limiting resistor of 1K or 2K ohms value. MICPWR is suitable for
    powering electret microphones and is the correct pin to use.

    Your wiring looks good.

    MIC-PWR -> MICPWR
    MIC-IN -> MIC2
    GROUND -> AGND