    Two have those little blue jumpers on them. I have a USB audio combo that I
    am fixing to install on the front of my comp. Why are these blue things on
    my MOBO?

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Wilson

    Paul Guest

    Have a look at page 20 here (section 2.3.6):
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/fpio_design_guideline.pdf

    "2.3.6 Jumpers

    A feature of the front panel headphone jack is that rear panel
    audio output connectors are disabled when headphones are plugged
    in. This feature is implemented through the front panel audio header
    shown in Figure 2 and Table 6. If the front panel interface board
    is not connected to the front panel audio header, pins 5 and 6,
    and 9 and 10 should be jumpered on the front panel audio header.
    If these jumpers are not installed, the rear panel audio connectors
    will be inoperative."

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 10, 2005

  3. Wilson

    Dave Balcom Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:52:43 -0600, "Wilson"

    }http://tinypic.com/iel2kk.jpg
    }
    }Two have those little blue jumpers on them. I have a USB audio combo that I
    }am fixing to install on the front of my comp. Why are these blue things on
    }my MOBO?

    I am not sure what the jumpers are for but I removed them to connect the
    front panel audio (Antec 1050B) to my Asus A8N SLI Premium MB and it
    works fine...

    Later,
    Dave

    Dave Balcom, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    Thank you. So no matter what, I need to leave those blue thing alone? Even
    when I put in the front panel audio and connect the wires, I still leave the
    blue jumpers on?

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005
  5. Wilson

    Mistoffolees Guest

    When installing the front panel audio, the blue pins will have
    to be removed. There will be 2 pairs of connectors that go
    over them, for the Left and Right line-outs. Presumably, the
    front panel connector continues the bridge, which is broken when
    the front panel is used, disconnecting the rear [speaker] outputs,
    as would occur when headphones are plugged into the front.

    Mistoffolees, Dec 10, 2005
  6. Wilson

    C Guest

    Incorrect.You must remove the jumpers to connect the front audio
    connector.They are there only if you do not have front audio to
    connect.

    C, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Wilson

    Paul Guest

    And if you connect to front audio/mic ports.

    It doesnt cut the back ports off.

    You can listen to both at the same time, if u use
    headphones on the front ports.

    I've connected this case's front audio/mic to the mobo
    front panel connector.

    The line out is connected to the tv's audio inputs.

    And whatever I play, the sound comes thru the front port
    thru headphones, and also thru the TV. At the same time.

    Paul, Jan 1, 2006
  8. Wilson

    milleron Guest

    Well, yes, when connected in a standard prescribed way, it does. In
    fact that's the whole idea of the front panel headphone jack. It's
    supposed to cut the rear output off. Why would one want the speakers
    going while using headphones?
    Are you using a PCI sound card instead of the onboard audio?
    IF you have the front audio/mic ports connected to the motherboard's
    FP_AUDIO connector, AND you have the TV connected through the
    lime-colored line-out (front speaker) rear-panel jack, BUT you still
    hear computer sound through the TV when you have headphones plugged
    into the front-panel jack, then you must have a non-Intel-standard
    front-panel audio cable. Please describe what case you're using and
    whether you've modified the case's cable. Did you, in fact, remove
    the two factory-installed jumpers on the FP_AUDIO connector before you
    plugged your case's cable in there?
    Ron

    milleron, Jan 2, 2006
  9. Wilson

    Paul Guest

    These are homebuilt PC's Milleron.

    I made both of them up.

    I dont know the name of this case.

    It hasnt got a name on it.

    I didnt change any cable from the front audio...

    They're connected as is, straight to the front panel audio
    connector on the mobo.

    I have removed both the jumpers from the connector on the mobo. This is what
    the headphone socket on the case plugs into for left and right channel.

    The mobos are ASUS. This one P4P800, the other
    the P4S8x-x. Both have FPA connectors onboard.

    All it says in the P4P800 manual, is there's a FPA connector, doesnt say
    it's Intel.

    Paul, Jan 2, 2006
  10. Wilson

    milleron Guest

    snip

    Yeah, if plugging in the front-panel headphones does not interrupt
    output to the rear-panel speaker jack, then your cabling and
    front-panel wiring are definitely NONstandard. The way your rig is
    functioning is definitely not per Intel spec.

    Without a front-panel cable hooked up, those jumpers are the only
    thing that allows output to the rear panel jacks. When you remove
    them, the cable you install serves that function, but plugging
    headphones into the front-panel is supposed to SWITCH OFF that
    connection. That's the entire idea of this setup. If it wasn't
    supposed to work this way -- that is, if the rear-panel output weren't
    designed to be "interruptible," there would be absolutely no reason
    for the factory-jumpered points to be part of the connector in the
    first place. Think about it.

    Your front-panel cable is jumpering those connectors, thus allowing
    output to the rear-panel, but the way the front panel is wired is
    FAILING to interrupt that connection when the headphone jack is
    inserted. This is a design or manufacturing defect.

    Ron

    milleron, Jan 2, 2006
  11. Wilson

    Paul Guest

    Oh well, I'm not fussed about it, the front audio
    and mic work, and the back audio works fine.

    Thats all I'm worried about.

    Paul, Jan 2, 2006
  12. Wilson

    milleron Guest

    You mean that you actually prefer to have the speakers on when you're
    using headphones or do you mean that the only front-panel device you
    use is the mic?

    Ron

    milleron, Jan 3, 2006
  13. Wilson

    Paul Guest

    The audio/sound from the back is only going to the TV

    There are no speakers connected to this PC itself.

    (The only way I can hear sound is from the headphones/front connection on
    the case).

    I have to change the AV on the TV to actually get sound
    to go from here to the TV. Coz, the sound/video is connected from this
    computer to the TV.

    Paul, Jan 3, 2006