front panel connectors

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gimp, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. gimp

    gimp Guest

    i have a problem with the front audio & firewire cable pins on my case
    (silverstone TJ03) not matching the motherboard (Albatron K8X800 ProII).
    the front USB was easy enough though.

    with firewire, the mobo manual has 2 grounds and a 'chassis ground',
    whereas the case has labelled VP [white], VG [black] and shield [black].
    is the shield or the white VP the chassis ground..? or doesn't it
    matter if they're all grounds?

    with audio... mobo manual has the following:

    mic
    mic_vref
    ground
    +5V
    front_outR
    rear_outR
    front_outL
    rear_outL

    case has one less pin:

    mic_power
    mic_in
    ground
    R_out
    R_ret
    L_out
    L_ret

    i'm guessing the 'ret' is for the rear connectors...? not sure on the
    mic pins?

    gimp, Sep 11, 2005

  2. gimp

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Usually in the PC all different "grounds" are connected together.
    It might make a difference ion the other side.
    No. "ret" is "return", i.e. the ground line dedicated to that signal
    line. It does matter when you connect speakers or low-impedance
    (resistence) headphones since you would get crosstalk from one channel
    to the other via the ground line if it was shared. For high-impedance
    targets it does not matter. So connect R_ret and L_ret to ground
    at the mainboard side. Semms to me that the case is stereo while
    the mainboard is surround. Connecting the L/R_out pins to the
    front_outL/R pins should work as far as I understand surround
    technology. You might want to configure the soundchip to output
    stereo only in the driver.

    mic_vref is probably mic_power, but most cheaper microphones use
    phantom power (in-line DC over a resistor) where you do not have
    an extra connection for power. "mic_in" should be "mic".

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 12, 2005

  3. gimp

    gimp Guest

    So connect R_ret and L_ret to ground
    yep that's right, the mainboard has Envy24 surround. but there's only
    one ground pin on the motherboard for front audio [already taken] so can
    i leave the _ret cables unconnected..?

    i hope so - i'll try it. one time i nearly melted down the front audio
    panel of a case because the mic lines weren't connected properly :) i
    think i must have mixed up vref and +5V.

    gimp, Sep 13, 2005
  4. gimp

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Usually not. You need to split that ground connection on the
    mainboard side.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 13, 2005