Front panel firewire A7N8X Deluxe please help

Discussion in 'Asus' started by JJ, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Board: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Case: Coolermaster Centurion CAC-T01

    Board Layout (single strip of 8):
    ------------
    1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

    1 Ground
    2 Ground
    3 TPA2+
    4 TPA2-
    5 TPB2+
    6 TPB2-
    7 Ground
    8 +12V

    Case lead (2 rows of 5):
    ---------
    1-2
    3-4
    5-6
    7-8
    9-A

    1 TPA+
    2 TPA-
    3 Ground
    4 Ground
    5 TPB+
    6 TPB-
    7 +12V
    8 +12V
    9 Key
    A NC

    The lead from the case has one moulded plug, not separate wires so I
    can't connect them to the board individually.
    Please, how do I connect it?
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    JJ, Oct 16, 2003

  2. JJ

    Ben Pope Guest

    You may be able to remove the metal pins from the plastic case, they usually
    have a little barb that prevents you from pulling them straight out, but if
    you look carefully you should see a way of removing them. I think that you
    can usually hook part of the casing with a knife and slide each pin straight
    out.

    It should be fairly obvious which to connect together, I'd suspect that the
    grounds are connected to each other and the +12V together as well.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 16, 2003

  3. JJ

    Paul Guest

    You could pull the pins from the 2x5 and connect them directly to the
    header. But, the problem is, the pins may try to rotate, and if they
    do, they could short together. One solution would be to use heat-shrink
    tubing (polyolefin). This can give you a tight fitting plastic insulation
    around each pin, to prevent them from shorting even if they get rotated
    while in place. To find some, measure the widest part of the bare pin (a
    diagonal cross section for example), and then buy tubing which is large
    enough to slide over it without pinching. Since heat shrink resists
    being forced over something, there should be some slack. Generally, I
    buy two or three sizes of tubing and test for the best fit. Then, apply
    a gentle heat until you see the tubing shrink (shrinks to at most 50%
    original size - try for a tighter fit and lesser shrinkage than that).
    Too much heat can make the tubing really brittle or burn through it.
    For example, I use a soldering iron to shrink this tubing, but I just
    let the heat waft off the tip of the iron, without touching the iron
    to the tubing. Since the tubing will conform to the pin, the small piece
    of tubing shouldn't slide around when you are finished. If need be, it
    can be cut off with diagonal cutters or a hobby knife.

    To find some, start here:

    http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=127554&Cat=32375550

    There are many colors, sizes, and lengths. A five foot piece will be
    plenty. This PDF page from the catalog will give you a more convenient
    way of selecting a part number.

    http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T033/0971.pdf

    The other option is to find a 1x8 plastic shroud, just like the 2x5
    plastic shroud around the case connector right now. Frontx sells parts
    like this -

    http://www.frontx.com/order_c.html
    http://www.frontx.com/cpx075_7.html (1x8 plastic shroud to hold wires)

    The problem is, you won't know for certain whether the pins in the current
    shroud will fit in the new shroud or not. The only way to be certain
    is to buy pins that match the shroud, then if the existing pins don't
    fit, you remove the pins on the end of the cable and install the
    new ones (not a lot of fun).

    I'd recommend searching for a shroud on the Digikey site, because they
    have plenty of parts like this, but so far I haven't found one which
    is just a flat feature-less shroud (at least one that allows easy
    disassembly, to move the wires around). A shroud solution is better
    than heatshrinking the individual wires, when you need to remove
    and reassemble your computer.

    I'll post a part number later if I find one.

    As for the wiring, this is what I would use. The motherboard has
    three ground pins, two intended as "shield wires" to help reduce
    crosstalk between TPA and TPB, while the third is intended as
    ground return for the power supply. The case wiring is using its
    two ground wires for both functions. This means the motherboard
    pin 7 won't be used. The case has two +12V pins, and only one
    (either one will do) needs to be connected. Any unused pins from
    the case wiring (like that +12V wire) should be carefully insulated,
    so they don't accidently touch something and blow it up.

    Case Wires Motherboard Pins (pin 7 Ground is unused)
    1 TPA+ 3 TPA2+
    2 TPA- 4 TPA2-
    3 Ground 1 Ground
    4 Ground 2 Ground
    5 TPB+ 5 TPB2+
    6 TPB- 6 TPB2-
    7 +12V 8 +12V
    8 +12V (insulate)
    9 Key
    A NC

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 17, 2003
  4. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks Ben, but they are wired in to a fairly solid plug which is a
    completely different shape, so I can't just prise the wires out are
    re-arrange them in the correct order. The board layout is a single
    strip of 8 pins, the plug is 2 rows of 5.

    JJ, Oct 17, 2003
  5. JJ

    Ben Pope Guest

    I've always managed to get them out... they went in! You don't have to use
    a plug, but some insulation would be a good idea.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 17, 2003
  6. JJ

    Bob Guest

    Sorry first post I missed you posted the case. I went to their website and
    they offered no help ( ie a cable). Most case companies offer a cable or
    adapter to run a regular firewire cable . You may end up trying to do that.
    What does the backside of the front plug on the case look like ? ( pins ,
    plug )

    Bob, Oct 17, 2003
  7. JJ

    rstlne Guest

    It should be fairly obvious which to connect together, I'd suspect that
    the
    Or just use 5 pins from the casing that you just removed the cables from

    (gnd)(gnd)(casing)(+12)

    so the only 2 that can bump together are the grounds, and they are probably
    connected on the underside anyhow so it's no biggie

    rstlne, Oct 18, 2003
  8. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks all for your help. Am getting nowhere with my attempts to wire
    it up with bare plugs on the pins. Will give up I think ;-)

    JJ, Oct 19, 2003