    motherboard, part #308897-001 ? Can't find anything on the HPaq web site, and
    the board is not well marked. This is a board with two DIMM sockets running
    diagonally. Thanks much... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    To answer my own question, after searching for "Evo 310" manuals on the HP web
    site, I downloaded the "product manual" for the Evo 310, c00283275.pdf. The
    front panel is shown in a picture. I used Adobe Acrobat to view the document,
    of course, and blew it up to 400% of actual size. Then I captured the screen
    showning the blown up image of the front panel connectors, with a legend that
    shows the use of the important wire pairs.

    Gee, I'm glad HP makes this sort of thing ever so easy... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 19, 2006

  3. Ben Myers

    paulmd Guest

    I've always been fond of the flat blade screwdriver method of finding
    the power and reset pins. :)

    paulmd, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    The flat blade always works one way or another. The risk is always that the
    wrong pair of pins gets shorted and the motherboard gets completely hosed.
    That's why I tend to favor annotated images of boards, diagrams, tables and
    charts in manufacturer documents. You see, I have this inbred phobia about
    burning out motherboards, especially when they belong to someone else on my
    repair bench. And yes, I get computers for service all the time to clean up
    the mess the owner made by disconnecting all the wires. I also see all kinds
    of stray motherboards here... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 24, 2006