Front USB after motherboard change

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Chas., May 30, 2004.

  1. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    Some months back I replaced the failed mobo and PS in my Compaq 5005CL
    with an MSI mobo and Enermax PS. I was unable to connect the front
    USB connectors to the mobo because the - presumably unique - Compaq
    cable did not fit the MSI mobo. I thought I could live with it, but
    now would like to have easier access to the USB.

    The mobo end of the cable to the front panel is a molded connector, so
    I'd need a new cable and reconnection to the front connectors. That
    would require removing the drives and probably the mobo and PS so I
    can remove the drives...

    Before I strip the case to have a look at the front connections, does
    anyone have successful experience with this? For example, how is the
    cable attached at the front panel?

    Alternatives, of course, would be a USB hub which would add to my desk
    clutter or a new case, which I am considering.

    Thanks for sharing your experience and your suggestions.

    Chas,

    Chas., May 30, 2004

  2. Actually there are other alternatives.

    Front side USB can be added to any machine that has just a header (Not a
    PCI-USB card) in the back. All it consist of is a Face plate for any
    available bay with the USB jacks mounted in it and some slightly longer
    cables to reach the USB connections on the motherboard. These come with 2
    and 4 USB jacks, so you can have easy access to connect additional devices.
    Some I believe are even called front side internal USB hubs.

    Or if you only need a single connection, there are USB extension cables.
    Just plug one in at the back and run the other end around to the front of
    the PC. Not elegant, but functional.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, May 30, 2004

  3. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    Saw those, but I have no free bays :(
    Probably what I'll do for the time being...

    Thx, Chas.

    Chas., May 31, 2004
  4. Chas.

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, the Compaq computers, especially Presarios, have their own special
    proprietary front panel connectors. Now that you've replaced the motherboard
    and power supply with industry-standard ones, you would be ahead of the game
    replacing the chassis, too. A chassis with provision for standard USB ports in
    front is not too expensive. And I would assume that the MSI motherboard has a
    USB connector on it? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 31, 2004
  5. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    Yes, but...

    In my slow and cost-conscious project of evolving a Compaq computer
    into a non-Compaq computer, a new chassis is surely on my list, but
    I've been hoping my next upgrade/swap would be to replace one of the
    optical drives with a DVD-writer. A new case would probably follow
    that
    - Chas.

    Chas., Jun 1, 2004