    front USB plugs on the case? I would sure like to be able to use them for my
    MP3 player.
    That way I can unhook it when I'm done. Thanks,

    Striker, Jan 14, 2004

  2. The connector on the M/B will have two rows of pins, one with 4 and the
    other with 5. Each row is a separate USB hub. On a Gigabyte M/B the
    connector is usually yellow, with the "spare" pin nearer the front of the
    case. The pin numbering starts from the end nearer the *back* of the case
    i.e. opposite to the "spare" pin. Starting from the back, along each row
    the pin assignments are:-

    Power
    USB Data -ve
    USB Data +ve
    Signal Ground

    The "spare" pin is for grounding the external connector itself - there may
    or may not be a wire for this, depending on the case or other ext.
    connector, & in any case it doesn't usually matter.

    The small individual plugs corresponding to each pin above will be labelled
    something like the following, together with the wire colour-coding:-

    "VCC" (Red)
    "DATA -" (White)
    "DATA +" (Green)
    "GND" (Black)
    The case grounding wire (if present) will be called something like "SHIELD"
    and will also be black. The labels are as on my Lian-Li; the colour-coding
    seems to be generic.

    Andrew Wasielewski, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Huh? What do you mean the board has one plug connectors? It should have a
    group of pins, known as a header. You have to use the manual and sort out
    which of those wires get attached to which pins. Then test it and make sure
    it works. I have an older case that actually has a single connector for
    each row of pins and it's a pain because there is no standard on how the
    pins are arranged. Therefore, you have to pull wires out of the connector
    and rearrange them to meet the pin arrangement on the board. Newer cases
    with their individual wires are a blessing!

    --
    Big Daddy Ruel Smith

    My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
    8:16pm up 38 days 5:01, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.16, 0.13

    My Windows XP machine uptime:
    Something less...

    Ruel Smith (Big Daddy), Jan 15, 2004
  4. Striker

    Dumdedo Guest

    Also when you test is use some thing cheap like a USB joystick or mouse, then
    if you have wired it wrong you don't damage some thing expensive..

    Dumdedo, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Striker

    mark7 Guest

    FRONT USB CABLE HOOKUP GA 8KNXP:

    Red White Green Brown Double Black
    +5v D1- D1+ Gnd Gnd
    Pin 2 Pin 4 Pin 6 Pin 8 Pin 10

    Pin 1 Pin 3 Pin 5 Pin 7
    Orange Yellow Grey Black
    +5v D2- D2+ Gnd

    Antec Case USB Connection:

    There are 8 wires with connectors coming from the front-mounted USB ports.
    1. Locate the internal USB header pins on your mobo. They consist of 10
    pins in two rows. On some mobos one or two pins may be marked NC. This
    indicates no contact. It is an empty pin. On some mobos one pin may be missing
    from either one or both rows. Don't worry about it. You need only 8 pins to
    connect to.
    2. Consult your mobo manual to get each of the pin-out positions.
    3. Power Pins: There are two +5v connectors to the two power pins. Each
    connector can go on either pin.
    4. Ground Pins: There are two ground pins, one in each row. They are usually
    marked as Ground, or GND. Connect the two Ground connectors to the two
    ground pins. Each connector can go on either pin. On some mobos there may
    be two ground pins on one row. You do n ot need to use all of them. Make sure
    to connect one ground pin on each row.
    5. Data Pins: There are two plus data pins, one on each row, and two minus
    data pins, one on each row. They are usually marked as USBD2+, USBD3+ and
    USBD2-, USBD3- or USBP2+, USBP3+, and USBP2-, USBP3- respectively.
    a. Connect the D+ connector to any of the two plus data pins. It can go on
    either of the plus pins.
    b. Connect the D- connector to the minus data pin in the same row as the D+
    data pin that was just connected.
    c. Connect the other D+ to any of the plus data pins, and connect the D-
    connector to the minus data pin in the same row with the D+ pin.

    mark7, Jan 15, 2004