Front USB ports on Dell Dimension 2400

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Pat Kelecy, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. Pat Kelecy

    Pat Kelecy Guest

    A relative of mine has a Dell Dimension 2400 and was having trouble
    connecting their new Canon digital camera to one of the front USB ports.
    Two issues came up with this:

    1. The plug (that connects to the computer) on camera's USB cable has some
    extra pins (in addition to the 4 that lie on the surface of the white
    plastic piece in the plug). Is this some special USB version? I've never
    seen this before and was a bit baffled by it.

    2. According to my relative, one of the two USB ports on the front actually
    fit this plug (with its extra pins), but when connected an error message
    appeared indicating that the power draw was too high (I can't recall the
    exact wording of the message though).

    Can anyone shed some light on these? Any suggestions on what to do?

    Thank for any help with this.

    Pat

    Pat Kelecy, Nov 13, 2006

  2. Pat Kelecy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Have no idea; does the same message appear if the cable is plugged to the
    *rear* USB port(s)?

    Surely the camera doesn't have to be plugged to AC before its USB is plugged
    to the PC as that would be self-defeating. ?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 13, 2006

  3. Pat Kelecy

    Tom Scales Guest

    As I recall, the front ports on a 2400 are actually on an unpowered internal
    hub. Try the rear ports.

    Tom Scales, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Pat Kelecy

    Pat Kelecy Guest

    Do digital cameras normally require a powered USB port? On my Dell 8200 I
    can connect with my camera via the front USB ports with no problem,
    although maybe those are powered. I don't know.

    What baffles me more are the extra pins on the USB plug. That's something
    I've never seen.

    Pat Kelecy, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Pat Kelecy

    Jay B Guest

    perhaps its not a usb plug? it could be confused with firewire, also
    esata. also there's mini-firewire and mini-usb as well.
    the front of the 2400 only has usb that came from dell.

    the cable from cameras are either firewire or miniusb. never usb!

    Jay B, Nov 13, 2006
  6. Pat Kelecy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Tom Scales, Nov 13, 2006
  7. Pat Kelecy

    Mike Marquis Guest

    Front USB ports on my daughter's 2400 are powered (at least I can run an
    external unpowered HD from them).

    Mike

    Mike Marquis, Nov 13, 2006
  8. Pat Kelecy

    Pat Kelecy Guest

    Thanks for links.

    I can't really say for sure what it looks like, since I haven't actually
    seen it - just heard descriptions of it over the phone from my relative.
    They said it looked like a regular USB cable plug (not mini) except there
    were 4 additional pins in the (normally) empty space above the 4 conductors
    .. Further, they said that one of the two USB ports on the front of their
    2400 different, and they were able to plug it into one, but not the other!

    It's all rather strange, and now I'm starting to wonder if one of the front
    USB ports maybe came apart -perhaps when they were unplugging the cable it
    pulled something out. Without seeing it first hand it's hard to say.

    Pat Kelecy, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Pat Kelecy

    Pat Kelecy Guest

    Are they identical?

    Pat Kelecy, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Pat Kelecy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Dood - I must misunderstand the last part of your post. I have Sony DSC P71
    (older 3.2 megapixels), and it most certainly connects to standard
    USB1.1/2.0 ports. Plus I've seen countless other digital cameras (both cheap
    and nice) that were USB.

    What'd I miss?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 13, 2006
  11. Pat Kelecy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Not to answer for Mike, but absolutely they are. Only other port there is a
    headphone mini-jack.

    S.Lewis, Nov 13, 2006
  12. Pat Kelecy

    Jay B Guest

    what i meant was...
    the connector on the camera is not usb, its mini usb.
    the cable you are using is a miniusb to a regular usb.

    Jay B, Nov 14, 2006
  13. Pat Kelecy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Are you positive that it is a 2400? Don't some models have USB AND Firewire
    on the front?

    Tom Scales, Nov 14, 2006
  14. Pat Kelecy

    Bruce Guest

    Yep, I've got the same camera, and it does connect to the front of my
    Dell (4550) with the standard USB connector.

    Bruce, Nov 14, 2006
  15. Pat Kelecy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Mea culpa. I just didn't get it. Thanks.

    S.Lewis, Nov 14, 2006
  16. Pat Kelecy

    RnR Guest

    As others have said try the other usb ports on the 2400. I assume you
    tried the usb plug right side up (assuming it's the front usb port in
    the 2400).

    It just so happens I was working on my sister in law's 2400 yesterday
    getting rid of a lot of nasties including "virusbuster" stuff and I
    used a thumb drive in her front usb port with no problem. And yes I
    got rid of all her viri, spyware, etc... with a lot of effort (she's
    not that computer savy). That said, my brother in law has some viri
    so it seems like I should go into business riding people of their
    nasties <grin>.

    Last, you might want to go back to Canon's web site and check around
    there or go to rec.photo.digital newsgroup and ask them if that
    camera has a non std usb cable end. That newsgroup is pretty friendly
    and knowledgeable about digital cameras.

    RnR, Nov 15, 2006
  17. Pat Kelecy

    Pat Kelecy Guest

    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate
    BTW, I'm the computer guy in my (extended) family. So I get calls fairly
    regularly to do the stuff you mentioned. Never a dull moment!

    -Pat

    Pat Kelecy, Nov 17, 2006