    gives no response. Aint the keyboard, since Ive used two with the same
    result. In desperation even used a USB one and still got same problem,
    so that elimates a problem with the PS/2 port. What gives? TIA

    Ted A Turner, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Ted A Turner

    Tim Guest

    Ted,

    Have you got one of those fancy keybaords with an F Lock key on it?

    - TIm

    Tim, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Ted A Turner

    DaveW Guest

    Sounds like it could be a faulty motherboard.

    DaveW, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Ted A Turner

    Rob Guest

    I know this sounds strange but a couple times I had keyboard problems
    like you've mentioned. I removed all power, pulled the mains plug,
    waited a few minutes and restarted. It worked fine after that. Guess
    things got messed up in the chipset/keyboard controller and since the
    +5VSB gets removed that way, it cleared up. HTH.

    Rob

    Rob, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Ted A Turner

    Ted A Turner Guest

    Curiouser and curiouser ;o)
    Ive got to the stage where I can *guarantee* to have the keyboard
    working, or I can *guarantee* to have it not.

    To have the keyboard work, simply allow the computer to boot from the
    CD and ignore all prompts until Windoze offers a repair or an intsall
    - any keys you press now are recognised, including ENTER to contine.
    Of course, as soon as you do press ENTER, Windoze informs you that it
    cant find a hard drive and press F3 to exit, which annoying works too!

    To have the keyboard *not* work, hit F6 repeatedly (and I mean
    repeatedly) during startup. This will allow Windoze to get to the
    prompt that Setup will permit you to specify additional drives, by
    pressing S. No key responds now.

    I can only get to a conventional startup screen by chance, but on the
    rare occasions I do Windoze gives me a standard "Keyboard error - no
    keyboard present" error message. Frustratingly, the keyboard works at
    this point, pressing F1 to continue!

    Aaaarggghhhh ;o)

    Ted A Turner, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Ted A Turner

    Tim Guest

    Your OS can hear you. Thats why.
    - Tim

    Tim, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Ted A Turner

    Tim Guest

    Ted,

    Could there be a problem with your floppy drive - is the cable in the right
    way around?
    Perhaps you bumped power or something on the floppy and that is where the
    issue is.

    People have reported similar issues: keyboard intermittency if the grounding
    flanges by the PS2 connector don't touch the chassis.

    - Tim

    Tim, Feb 21, 2004