    The vista machine keeps asking for user name and password. I put in
    the password for a user on the downstairs mac but its rejected...

    anybody else been there done that and got the tee-shirt?

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 15, 2009

  2. SpreadTooThin

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    Which printer, make and model? Some vendors (HP, I'm thinking of _you_) have
    rigged things so that while their systems can be shared from a Mac to another
    Mac, or from a Windows machine to another Windows machine, they can't be
    shared cross-platform without going to some effort. You might want to look at
    <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html> or
    <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html>.

    J.J. O'Shea, Feb 15, 2009

  3. hp deskjet 5100

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 15, 2009
  4. These links are for mac users who want to print to a printer that is
    connected to a PC.
    I am in the reverse scenario

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 15, 2009
  5. SpreadTooThin

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    J.J. O'Shea, Feb 15, 2009
  6. SpreadTooThin

    Kevin K Guest

    I am sure glad I spent the extra money the last time when I bought an
    all in one HP unit that I got one with a network card. All my
    computers just talk to it directly (though only the Mac and Windows
    system uses the scanner portion). My old laser printer, on the other
    hand, is connected to my Linux box. That was another thing. The all
    in one unit HAD to have Mac support, since that is my primary desktop
    system.

    Kevin K, Feb 16, 2009
  7. SpreadTooThin

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    I last bought a printer which _didn't_ have network support in 2004. Since
    then any printer I've got, for home or office work, has had network support.
    It just makes sense.

    J.J. O'Shea, Feb 16, 2009
  8. And many now have 802.11g

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 16, 2009
  9. SpreadTooThin

    -hh Guest

    Will have to try this one myself - - RTFM'ing Apple's help files
    didn't mention it.

    Of course, this does require that one have Admin permission on the
    Windows PC ... not always the case when bringing the work laptop home
    for the weekend.

    The irony is that under Panther (10.3), a PC printing to a Mac-USB
    printer worked very easily. Somehow, it got broken under Tiger and
    hasn't been fixed under Leopard.

    -hh

    -hh, Feb 17, 2009
  10. Oh by the way I managed to print from a virtulal XP machine (VMWare)
    to the Mac downstairs but vista still no go.
    I downloaded bonjour and will try it on vista this evening...

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 17, 2009
  11. I just tried installing Bonjour and the Vista system.
    Interestingly enough it even put a Network Printer Setup Wizard on my
    desktop, which I ran and it discovered the printer downstairs nice...
    but printing to it from applications doesn't do anything. :(

    I turned on file sharing.
    I turned on printer sharing.

    Still no print :(

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 19, 2009
  12. It's an HP Deskjet 5150 connected to my G4 (Running 10.4) by USB
    cable.
    I'd like to hear how it went.

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 19, 2009
  13. Lucky you...
    Interesting... I have a usp port on my router.... but i think it's
    only for external USB hard drives.

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 19, 2009
  14. Nope.. the printer is downstairs and the router is upstairs.. :(

    SpreadTooThin, Feb 19, 2009