[FS - Toronto] Rare: Sun SparcStation Voyager + parts

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by D., Aug 16, 2008.

  1. D.

    D. Guest

    Hello groups,

    Sorry for the semi-commercial cross-posting, but given the nature of the
    item I figured out some of you may be interested, before I put it up on eBay.

    I have for sale a SparcStation Voyager, with some parts. The general specs
    of the machine can be found there:
    http://www.milestonesolutions.com/voyager/

    It is the 14" greyscale model, with the 800MB hard drive and 48MB of RAM.
    Last time I checked it was fully working, I installed NetBSD and it ran just
    fine (X included).

    On top of the main unit, I have some spare parts that come with it, some of
    them scavenged from a second dead Voyager:

    - two original mini Sun keyboards (coolness factor +10)
    - one optical mouse + metal mat
    - one external SCSI CDROM, in a Sun enclosure
    - a second B&W screen! (they can be replaced - geek factor +NaN)
    - all cables needed to connect everything

    I also have, laying around, a second 800MB 2.5" SCSI hard drive (they were
    specific to those machines), and a second power adapter. I haven't located
    them yet, but I'll look for them.

    I can send by email a picture of the machine and all the parts.

    I never had a battery for that machine.

    It's in very good shape, although a bit dirty, and would need a good
    cleanup. It needs a loving home.

    Given the number of parts and the weight of everything, I will not ship it
    out. Therefore it's for sale only in the greater Toronto area. I live
    downtown near the Danforth, and I work in Markham.

    The price I ask for everything is 100$.

    To get my email address, just figure out what to do with that:

    #include <stdio.h>
    main(){char
    x[]={101,108,45,106,101,102,102,101,64,104,111,116,109,97,105,108,46,99,111,109,0};puts(x);}

    Thanks!
    D.

    D., Aug 16, 2008

  2. D.

    D. Guest

    I know the machine is slow, but it's really an odd beast, and a more of a
    collection item nowadays anyway. So given that it's in very good shape and
    working perfectly, let's see if anyone is interested.

    D.

    D., Aug 22, 2008

  3. With the richt OS, it's not that slow after all. Just use an older
    Solaris release, maybe something like 2.5.1. Having said that, even
    a stripped-down 2.7 runs fine.
    I would be, but the shipping costs would be way beyond what I'm willing
    to pay.
    By the way... the 2.5" SCSI disks weren't unique to the Voyager.
    Sparcbooks used them as well, as did IBM in their RS/6000 Notebooks
    and Apple in a lot of older Powerbooks.

    If one is lucky, he can still find one of these nifty SCSI-IDE converters
    made by ADTX until about five years ago: <http://mickey.lucifier.net/adtx/>

    They're working just fine in the voyager, once you get the DIP switches
    right.

    Martin

    Martin Etteldorf, Aug 22, 2008
  4. D.

    Angel Guest

    I'd love to get a Voyager for my collection. I wish it was at the other
    side of the pond. :)

    Angel, Aug 23, 2008
  5. D.

    Dave Guest

    Given it's relatively low value, and it does not look too heavy, have
    you considered shipping it via surface mail? It's not as expensive as
    you might think.

    Dave, Aug 28, 2008
  6. D.

    Angel Guest

    I haven't though about it, since I even don't know what it is. :)

    I guess you refer to ship it by boat instead of by air, right?

    Which carriers do so and how expensive could it be to ship to Spain?

    Thanks and cheers,
    Angel

    Angel, Aug 28, 2008
  7. D.

    D. Guest

    Well actually it's pretty heavy. Remember that there isn't only the machine,
    but also a second screen, two keyboards, an external CD drive (this thing
    weights a ton), and so on. I haven't weighted it, but I used my old trusty
    self-balance method: if I need to be careful not to lose my balance when
    carrying something, it's heavy. And I'm 1m90 and weight about 100kg. :)

    Regards,
    D.

    D., Aug 29, 2008
  8. D.

    Dave Guest

    Given it is not exactly a must have item for everyone in Toronto, I
    would suspect you might want to consider shipping it to maximise the
    chance of a sale. If you intend to ship it anywhere, you will need to
    know the weight to give someone the shipping costs.

    Since you have someone in Spain who is interested, it might be worth
    your while finding the cheapest way to ship it to Spain. My guess is
    that the local postal service will have a surface mail option, which
    tends to be more attractive on heavy items. With no tracking information
    surface mail is useless for high value items, but tends to be attractive
    on heavy items where the cost of airmail is very high.

    Dave, Aug 29, 2008
  9. D.

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Will any of those work with an Ultra 10 ?

    If yes (and I'd need confirmation from a disinterested party
    or from online documentation), would you be willing to sell
    one or more of them separately?

    Not sure I could afford even the shipping from Toronto
    to Indiana but could think about it.

    Wes Groleau, Sep 13, 2008
  10. D.

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    The keyboard and mouse -- no problem. Both use the DIN style
    connector, not the USB used by the Sun Blade machines.

    The B&W screen? No bets. Those were 13W3 connectors with just
    the green channel used for video.

    The external SCSI CDROM -- yes -- *if* you get a PCI SCSI host
    adaptor. Why not put an IDE DVD+-RW drive in the Ultra-10 instead?

    Most of the cables are probably external the weird grid of pins
    connector (which I know was used on the Tadpole -- and possibly the
    Voyager as well) which was also used on some earlier Mac laptops. As
    such, they would not be much use with an Ultra-10.

    The power adaptors are also useless for anything like an
    Ultra-10.
    Skip the B&W monitor and the external SCSI CD-ROM and the
    shipping cost will drop significantly. But it does not strike me as
    making sense to get a Voyager to try to use its accessories on an
    Ultra-10.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Sep 14, 2008
  11. D.

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Sorry, that's why I said separately. I understand if you
    want to keep them together. I don't know what a Voyager is,
    so I'm sure I don't need it.

    Also don't need the CDROM--I wsn't paying attention and
    was thinking of a SCSI disk drive.

    Basically, I'm a cheapskate looking for a monitor, keyboard,
    and mouse to get this Ultra 10 back in service.

    Wes Groleau, Sep 14, 2008
  12. D.

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Well ... *I* don't -- but then I'm not the one offering them for
    sale.
    A SPARC-based laptop computer -- running Solaris (at least up to
    2.6).
    O.K. It wasn't clear which parts you wanted and which you
    didn't.
    The keyboard and mouse would be good for you -- but I suspect
    that the monitor would be a problem since the system would probably
    think that it was talking to a color monitor.

    The second keyboard I found on eBay (the first was a Type-5,
    which I would expect to cost less, but which cost more) is a Type-6
    going for $9.00 at present -- no bids. # 130253729522

    Of course -- you can do it with a null modem cable and a
    computer pretending to be a serial terminal connected to TTYA on the
    back of the Ultra-10. (May be just labeled "A".

    Have fun looking.
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Sep 14, 2008
  13. D.

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Actually, I have an H-89 in my garage--a Z80 computer
    with a smart terminal built in. I can open it up,
    move a couple of connectors and turn it into a VT-50
    clone.

    I'll probably do that first, just to make sure the Ultra
    really works. Because of the source, I don't expect failure,
    but why spend money that has even a chance of being wasted?

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying

    Wes Groleau, Sep 15, 2008
  14. D.

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    O.K. You'll want a minimal null modem cable. Cross pin 2 at one
    end to pin 3 at the other and vice versa. Connect pin 7 between both
    connectors. And (IIRC) connect pin 20 to pin 7 for some possible data
    configurations in the OBP.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Sep 15, 2008
  15. D.

    Wes Groleau Guest

    By another coincidence, I long ago bought a printer that had a
    completely screwed up variant of RS-232. To make it work with
    said Z-80, I had to cut an RS-232 cable and put a patch box in the
    middle of it. I still have that item and some of the patch jumpers
    I used with it!

    But, I suspect one bit of your advice is off.
    The H89's terminal is a real terminal, and thus
    should not require the cross-over of pins 2 & 3
    Right?

    Wes Groleau, Sep 15, 2008

  16. You need a null modem cable so that your terminal's TXD goes to the
    Sun's RXD and vica versa. The H89's serial port follows the RS232 spec,
    as does the Sun box; simply using a straight through cable will connect
    TXD to TXD and RXD to RXD.

    -CN

    Christopher Noyes, Sep 15, 2008
  17. D.

    Wes Groleau Guest

    The H89 has both DTE and DCE on the back.
    But I won't be using the H89 as such.

    Since I cannot use the computer (floppy
    drive dead), I must rewire the boards,
    effectively making it an H19 terminal.

    So TXD and RXD will be fine. However,
    the patch box I mentioned does allow
    swapping those. And I will need to
    patch other lines according to DoN

    Wes Groleau, Sep 15, 2008
  18. D.

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Wrong! The Sun's connector is as a "real terminal" too. Both
    your computer/terminal and the Sun's connector are configured as DTE
    (Data Terminal Equipment), and one end needs to be DCE (Data
    Communications Equipment) configuration -- like a Modem.

    So -- yes you will have to cross over the pins as I said above,
    just as I do with DEC VT??? terminals (from VT100 through at least the
    VT-340 which is the latest that I have.)

    If your patch box is a true "breakout box", and includes LEDs to
    show the status of the different leads, then it should show you that
    both ends are trying to send on pin 2, and none of them are using pin 3
    for the output. A breakout box is a good thing to have in general.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Sep 16, 2008
  19. D.

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Well, in that case I'll just use my terminal's DCE connector.

    Wes Groleau, Sep 17, 2008