  1. A friend of mine said that the ATI cards used to have better FSAA than the
    GeForce cards, however, that certainly isn't the case now, is it? Can anyone
    here state that they are even with this in technology now?

    Benny Johnson, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Benny Johnson

    BigJim Guest

    never used a ati card except for a door stop...........

    BigJim, Jul 23, 2005

  3. Benny Johnson

    Philburg Guest

    I could never tell the difference, but supposedly they use different methods
    to accomplish the same goal. And people seemed to think ATI's method was
    superior.
    If it works, it works. I couldn't really care either way except for
    performance.

    Philburg, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Benny Johnson

    First of One Guest

    ATi's FSAA implementation is superior to nVidia's up to and including the
    Geforce6 series.

    The 7800GTX has a new algorithm for AA in transparent textures (wire fences,
    overhead powerlines, etc.). It's called transparency supersample AA.
    Performance penalty is huge, and it's buggy. However, when it works, the
    improvement in image quality is substantial.

    First of One, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Benny Johnson

    Magnulus Guest

    Prior to the Geforce 6XXX cards, ATI had a substantial advantage in
    anti-aliasing. It took NVidia usually to get up to 4-6 sample antialiasing
    to equal just 2 samples on the ATI card. Now, the difference is much
    smaller, perhaps the same. Both cards use rotated grid multi-sampling now
    as the fastest method. I believe the ATI cards use gamma-corrected
    anti-aliasing, or at least support it, while only the Geforce 7800 supports
    it for NVidia cards.

    Magnulus, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Benny Johnson

    DDC Guest