Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 w/ Vista Home Basic - can't playDVD films

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Lee W, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. Lee W

    Lee W Guest

    I was reinstalling Windows on my brother's laptop yesterday after a
    few problems. Everything is fine now, with all drivers on the
    Recovery CDs back on again, but first I found out about the thing
    about no DVD decoder being supplied with Vista Home Basic, and then
    when I'd got that through installing Nero 7 which was on the drivers/
    utilities CD, the machine still would not play a film, though the
    chapters showed up in Media Player, etc. It just didn't seem ot be
    able to cope with showing the film itself. There was a suggestion on-
    screen to lower resolution but that didn't work. This machine
    currently has 512 mb RAM, though I've just sent off for another 512 mb
    chip to add. The display is absolutely fine for videos and other
    visual material viewed online, so is the problem likely lack of RAM?
    I could watch films on my old Fujitsu when that only had 256 mb RAM,
    though that was running XP Home.

    To be honest, my brother's just learning computer use and hasn't yet
    shown much interest in watching films on his laptop, but has a son who
    would, and I'd like to clue myself up, and partly have a foolish
    'academic' need to know what the problem is...

    I did consider installing RealPlayer to see if it would work, or to
    see if the Toshiba DVD player software I have might work if the latter
    isn't prevented from running on other machines. I tried a public
    domain bit of software, but it was useless.

    What do you think? Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Lee W, Oct 27, 2008

  2. Lee W

    BillW50 Guest

    In Lee W typed on Mon, 27 Oct 2008 04:26:36 -0700 (PDT):
    Maybe this will help.

    http://www.camcorderanswers.com/f13/vista-os-dvds-wont-play-7589/

    I like the end which suggests that you can install the trial version of
    AnyDVD and then uninstall it. Although it is my understanding that Windows
    doesn't have the codec for DVDs and you need software that paid a tax to
    Hollywood to play them (Digital Rights I believe it is called). Normally
    people use PowerDVD or something for the privilege to do so.

    BillW50, Oct 27, 2008

  3. Lee W

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Windows Vista Home Basic does not contain a codec for playing DVDs (Premium
    does). You can load a third party DVD playing utility such as PowerDVD.

    M.I.5¾, Oct 29, 2008