Fujitsu Sound and Dictation problem

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by David M, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. David M

    David M Guest

    I have a new Fujitsu ST 5020 Slate PC running Tablet XP
    SP2 with all of the updates. I am having problems with
    the audio/dictation as follows:

    If I connect an external wired microphone the dictation
    system works very well, with good recording and playback
    volumes. However, if I use the two built-in microphones,
    or a Jabra 250 Bluetooth Headset, the volume levels for
    recording are so low that they hardly register on the
    sound meter, and the recording quality is extremely
    poor. The audio settings are all correct for whichever
    device I am using and the Jabra headset receives a good
    playback volume though the earpiece. I have also updated
    the soundcard drivers to the latest version (it has a
    Sigma onboard sound card).

    Fujitsu have replaced the product once as they were
    unable to diagnose any other problems other then a
    hardware fault. I suppose the new one could have the
    same fault but I think this is unlikely.

    Has anyone had a similar problem, or does anyone have any
    suggestions?

    David M, Mar 10, 2005

  2. David M

    Chris H. Guest

    I know there is a difference between headset input and built-in microphone
    quality on some Tablet PCs, David, but I would be right at Fujitsu's support
    section to solve the issue for you. When you use the internal microphone,
    there is a means to disable the external, correct? Are you doing so?
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Mar 10, 2005

  3. David M

    David M Guest

    Thanks Chris. As far as I can tell the internal microphones are disabled when
    I switch from the Sigma soundcard to the Bluetooth headset profile. Fujitsu's
    support has been worse than useless - they even asked we what operating
    system their Tablet PC was running!

    David M, Mar 11, 2005
  4. David M

    Chris H. Guest