    out, thus avoiding the CPU having to do them. Tell me if I'm talking
    out my butt here.

    Regards, NT

    N. Thornton, Dec 31, 2003

  2. N. Thornton

    jamotto Guest

    My understanding is if you don't need 3D and you are using just 2D
    then the memory defines the max resolution and color depth of your
    video card. For example if your are running 1024 x 768 in 24bit color
    depth. then 1024*768=786,432 pixels that need to be stored
    786,432*24bits= 18,874,368 bits is the required storage in the frame
    buffer (video memory) which is 2.25 MB's of memory even at 1600x1200
    the memory needed is around 5.5MB's so I quess if you just ran 2D
    apps (Word, Excel, OpenOffice, etc) then you could get buy with just
    8MB.

    however, if you run video's like AVI, MPEG ,MOV , etc then I think the
    extra video memory is used to buffer frames yet to be displayed and to
    run X & Y Interpolation on the frames yet to be displayed but then I
    could be wrong.

    jamotto, Dec 31, 2003

  3. N. Thornton

    N. Thornton Guest

    And if you use 16 bit colour (no reason for 24 bit) that comes down to
    3.6M @ 1600x1200. And if you come down again to 1200 x what is it, say
    900, thats 2.06M - and thats only if every single pixel is different.

    So 2M is plenty of vid memory. Presumably 2M cards arent on sale
    because of
    a) ignorant choices
    b) theres hardly any cost diff between that and 16 or 32M

    True?

    Regards, NT

    N. Thornton, Dec 31, 2003
  4. N. Thornton

    DaveW Guest

    If you use Windows XP and surf the net watching video downloads such as
    news, etc. a 4 M video card will not get you by...

    DaveW, Jan 1, 2004
  5. N. Thornton

    jamotto Guest

    Well if I was to pick I would choose B they spend more on the GPU than the memory.

    jamotto, Jan 1, 2004
  6. N. Thornton

    N. Thornton Guest

    But why? 4M looks like quite enough to do the job, so I would have to
    wonder if its a bloatware issue?

    Regards, NT

    N. Thornton, Jan 1, 2004