Further KV7 SATA woes, Drives >137GB

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Marcus, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    I have now been fighting with getting my 2x160gb SATA drives running without
    errors for over 2 weeks.

    I have installed the following OS's, all of which at some point have failed,

    Windows 2000,
    Windows 2000 SP4,
    Windows 2000 Server SP4,
    Windows XP Pro,
    Windows XP Pro SP1,

    I know that the BIOS supports >137GB hard drives, I updated the BIOS to
    version 1.3, and it sees the drives at full size.

    I know about the >137GB issues with the Windows OS's, and have tried the
    registry fix. I have also tried spliting the drive into 2 partitions,
    105/200gb, but in all instances I only have these units to install on and
    think that it is simply NOT possible to install Windows in any form to
    drives which are >137GB in size.

    I would appreciate anyone else's stories / experiences with this, I know
    from previous posts people are happily running on the 120GB SATA drives, but
    I purchased the 160's being that it was only a couple of £'s more each.

    TIA,

    Marcus

    Marcus, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Marcus

    Morgan Guest

    I have installed the following OS's, all of which at some point have
    failed,

    Could you elaborate a little more on what exactly "failed" during the
    install (or after) to make you think that the issue is related to your
    drives.
    You don't mention if you are running the drives in a RAID or just two
    separate drives.
    Also what version of drivers are you using for the SATA controller when
    prompted to install them...?
    Not being familiar with that board are there options within the Bios to
    alter any timings or setting to the SATA controller like there are with the
    NF7-S..........?

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard drive is noisy no more.....

    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Morgan,

    Thanks for the reply, please see below for

    I get miscellaneous drive errors post complete install of OS, in ALL the
    previously noted OS instances, to the point that eventually the
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder gets corrupt and thus the
    system once again needs rebuild.

    I've had the same issues regardless of the drives being RAID0/1 or
    individual in configuraiton.

    I am using the driver disc which came with the motherboard, it states
    version 1.21, on the web I can't find a version higher than 1.00.

    There are no 'speed' settings within the KV7 SATA Bios screen, just the most
    basic set up details.

    Below is the last configuration which failed earlier today, again this was
    installed directly onto the RAIDed drives.

    Abit KV7 (BIOS 1.3), XP2600 2.1Ghz (333fsb), 1GB DDR400,
    128mb Geforce4 Ti4800, LS120 120mb Floppy, 16xDVD Sony,
    2 x 160Gb Maxtor SATA 150 Raid 0, STT8000A Tape Drive,
    HP9300i CDRW, Labtec Surround Sound Amp & Speaker set,
    19" Hansol Monitor, MS Sidewinder Precision 2.
    Windows XP Pro - SP1 Download Installed + LBA Registry hack

    I am now working on

    Abit KV7 (BIOS 1.3), XP2600 2.1Ghz (333fsb), 1GB DDR400,
    128mb Geforce4 Ti4800, LS120 120mb Floppy, 16xDVD Sony,
    2 x 160Gb Maxtor SATA 150 Raid 0, 3.5Gb Mitsubi IDE ,
    HP9300i CDRW, Labtec Surround Sound Amp & Speaker set,
    19" Hansol Monitor, MS Sidewinder Precision 2.
    Windows XP Pro - SP1 Download Installed + LBA Registry hack

    With the system installed to the 3.5Gb drive, and for the past several hours
    have not had any of the previous random read errors.

    Re:

    Marcus

    Marcus, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Marcus

    Morgan Guest

    I am using the driver disc which came with the motherboard, it states
    You can get drivers from here....
    http://www.siliconimage.com/
    For the 3112 controller. Whether they are later or not than the ones that
    you have got I am not sure.
    There were some real problems with the NVidia drivers and the SATA
    controller on the N-Force 2 boards. This was resolved through bios and
    driver updates. Up to that point people who were the early adopters of SATA
    drives, whether single or RAID, were often plagued with issues as you have
    written when they were used as the drive with the OS on.
    You *might* get some help from here with this group or pop over to......
    http://tinyurl.com/ysm8y
    There you find that Abit do contribute to the forum and maybe someone might
    have found a workaround for your problem. The only fly in that ointment,
    from the search that I have done for you, it does seem that there are very
    few posts about that board compared to the Abit NF7-S and data corruption.

    Good luck.

    Morgan, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Marcus

    Morgan Guest

    btw I do realise that your board is a Via chipset type and not an NForce 2
    one :~)
    I was just relating the fact that it took both Abit and Nvidia a little
    while before they sorted out the issues with the NForce 2 board.

    Morgan, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Morgan,

    Thanks for all you assistance, I really do hope it's not a case of some IRQ
    sharing issue like the problems with the KT7a-Raid and KG7-Raid, that also
    took a little while to sort out but there was enough information around on
    those units to resolve the issue within a day or so.

    Re:

    Marcus

    Marcus, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    I think I have finally found the real reason for the data corruption,
    however I reserve final judgement until Saturday when I have system rebuilt
    again!

    The Abit site details a release 1.3 for the KV7, my motherboard, it includes
    an update to the SATA Raid controller, this update is incompatible with the
    driver floppy version I have been loading my system with. The floppy itself
    is marked v1.21, but contains v1.00 and the BIOS now has v2.21. After a
    search of the VIA site I located full set of utils and drivers for v2.20,
    using these I created a new driver loppy. Having done this, thus far the
    installation on the 2x120gb SATA's has been stable, I will be building
    system with 2x160gb's Saturday now. As to why this didn't dawn on me soon
    I'll never know, I recall a similar event when I had the KG7-Raid, but in
    addition to the drivers there was also an IRQ sharing issue.

    Marcus, Feb 28, 2004
  8. Marcus

    Morgan Guest

    Excellent news - I am glad that you have hopefully got a working solution :)

    Morgan, Feb 28, 2004
  9. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Excellent news - I am glad that you have hopefully got a working solution
    :)

    Thanks :)

    I finally have a stable system, moved over 105GB from the old IDE drive on a
    secondary machine via network to this set up, scanned, defragged etc etc.,
    and no data corruption.

    Moral of this learning, no matter how sure you are you have the most up to
    date / correct set of drivers, ALL WAYS check again!

    I've obviously got lapse since this is the first major change in 12~24
    months!

    re;

    Marcus

    Marcus, Feb 28, 2004
  10. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Yep, thats' it, all working, and some 120GB's of data and games etc moved to
    the new setup without corruption, at last!

    Marcus, Feb 28, 2004