FWIW Rambus Law SUit

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Kevin Childers, Nov 2, 2005.

  1. +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | BusinessWeek Examines the Rambus Legal Saga |
    | from the collusion-around-every-corner dept. |
    | posted by ScuttleMonkey on Tuesday November 01, @06:26 (The Court|
    | http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/01/025244 |

    An anonymous reader writes "Now that three companies have admitted to
    colluding to fix DRAM prices in what has turned out to be a global
    conspiracy BusinessWeek [0]takes a look at the why. The most recent [1]to
    admit guilt was Samsung and no one, as yet, knows precisely why they did
    it. The short answer seems to be because they didn't want Rambus' memory
    technology, DR-DRAM to succeed in the market. The more complicated answer
    is that now that Samsung, Infineon and Hynix have all admitted to fixing
    prices, they're now lawsuits from Rambus alleging that their motivation
    was to "kill Rambus" by making it too expensive for it to be attractive
    for PC manufacturers. Today in San Francisco, lawyers for Rambus are
    going to argue for the release of a set of documents currently under
    seal, that they think could go a long way toward proving their case. If
    nothing else, the timing of the price-fixing, which ran from 1999 to
    mid-2002 is suspicious, because that was about the same time that the
    DRAM companies would have been resisting pressure to adopt Rambus."

    Discuss this story at:
    http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=05/11/01/025244

    Links:
    0.
    http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc20051031_874429.htm
    1. http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/13/1938242&tid=187

    --
    KC

    Crew, USS Neversail
    Capt. Morgan Commanding
    Margerittaville, Kokamo
    In The Conch Republic
    Just South of Reality

    Kevin Childers, Nov 2, 2005

  2. Kevin Childers

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    this article lost its credibility when it refered to RDRAM as DR-RAM ...

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Probably a typo, check the links for details. I don't know how this will
    impact those folks who bought systems using it. Would be nice if there were
    some compensation for the end users or the technology were allowed to
    compete on a level playing field.

    Kevin Childers, Nov 3, 2005
  4. Kevin Childers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Given the antics of RAMBUS in the last few years, my reaction is: "same old,
    same old". RAMBUS totally blew it with all the original lawsuits against the
    memory manufacturers for patent infringement. Yeah, RAMBUS collected some
    royalty payments and a ton of ill will for its action, mainly in the form of
    Intel (once a major supporter of RAMBUS) no longer designing chipsets for RAMBUS
    memory. Hey, if there are no longer chipsets being designed or manufactured to
    support RAMBUS memory, how on earth can memory manufacturers be sued? If I'm a
    memory menufacturer, why would I build memory for which no chipsets are being
    made. So now, RAMBUS is suing again. More sour grapes. Whoopee doo! Maybe
    they should merge with SCO, another scourge against innovation... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 3, 2005
  5. This is more clean cut than SCO, who have finally revealed to the court,
    in a sealed document, the actual parts of UNIX they feel have been
    compromised by their inclusion in Linux, et al. In the RAMBUS case all of
    the claims have been put before the court. The suit is over price fixing, a
    much more clean cut issue and more readily understood by the court.
    Software programs are much more arcane to the court's point of view and far
    less understood by it's officers.

    The reason their are no chip sets is traceable to cost and cost were
    artificially manipulated. That's against the law and gives RAMBUS grounds
    for a suit. In computers, cost have and always will be a major concern due
    to the inter dependence of the many technologies that come together in the
    end product. Good examples are the choice of the Intel 8088 over the 8086
    due to production cost. The 80xx series being originally selected because
    IBM already had a licensing agreement with Intel, even though they
    originally developed a prototype with a Motorola chip that was more powerful
    and included an on board math co-processor.

    Additionally SCO has gone after not only IBM and the big O/S venders,
    but also after the end users who have simply bought a product in good faith.
    RAMBUS is only seeking compensation from the manufactures involved in the
    original issue of price fixing.

    --
    KC

    Crew, USS Neversail
    Capt. Morgan Commanding
    Margerittaville, Kokamo
    In The Conch Republic
    Just South of Reality

    Kevin Childers, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Kevin Childers

    Ben Myers Guest

    And the RAMBUS royalties added to the cost of producing RDRAM. I understand the
    price fixing issue, but the RAMBUS company has not exactly worn a white hat over
    the years... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Kevin Childers

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    the shit's fast ... i wish it were cheaper. Then i could slam 4GB into my
    Intellistation M Pro dual xeon rig ....

    -= NuTs =-

    NuTCrAcKeR, Nov 6, 2005