FX 5200 or FX 5600 or ATI (was reply to FX 5200 or FX 5600)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Rich Gordoberg, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. In about 6 years, I have tested almost all nVidia and ATI's video
    cards, from GeForce2/Radeon7500 to the current FX sieries and ATI 9XXX
    sieries.

    I did not have any major problems with GeForce until I get the FX. On
    the other hand, I used to have problems with ATI's Radeon chips until
    I get the 9XXX sieries.

    I am not talking about the performance. You can get the performance
    data easily from many test reports. I am talking about stability and
    quality.

    The Radeon 9XXX sieries have a lots of improvements in terms of
    stability and quality. It is true that I did have lots of problems
    (crashes, not function well, etc. with early versions of Radeons).
    Although I still get some minor problems, but overall, the 9XXX
    sieries are reliable and in fully functional.

    But FX sieries get a severe problem that none of the early versions of
    the GeForce has. It does not support True Color! I doubt, in the
    performance competition with ATI's 9XXX, nVidia has secretly given up
    the True Color support in roder to get the performace data higher than
    the 9700. This is only my guess.

    If not, why nVidia no longer provide the Color Depth option in their
    driver's setting panel for FX and users can only use the 16bpp color?
    You may not notice the difference with most 3D games, which usually do
    not have high requirement for colors. And most performace test
    benchmark do not take care about the color depth. But if you are going
    to use high-end OpenGL graphic applications that requires rich colors,
    you will notice that you just can not get the color
    right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Rich Gordoberg, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Rich Gordoberg

    Flow Guest

    This is the first time i hear that FX cards don't support 32bpp?
    I don't have an FX card but i think you maybe have a faulty driver or driver
    installation?

    Flow, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Rich Gordoberg

    william bell Guest

    This happens when you not completly removed the Old drivers, so it you that is
    the utter Fool.

    william bell, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Rich Gordoberg

    Anybody Guest

    Don't quite know what you are talking about, but my fx has 32bpp, yup
    looking under OpenGL settings right now, and there it is.. under color
    quality as well.
    Maybe you had a bad install as Flow pointed out?

    Anybody, Aug 29, 2003
  5. Rich Gordoberg

    Dodge Tom Guest

    in message >
    Six years of "testing" all those video cards mentioned above on ONE PC? Or
    on several PCs? Six years of this with one operating system which has never
    been
    changed, i.e.: Win98 to ME to XP? Or several OS on different partitions like
    this
    for 6 years?

    Dodge Tom, Aug 29, 2003