FX 5500 for Biostar small form factor?

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by Nostrobino, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Nostrobino

    Nostrobino Guest

    I'm putting together a Biostar iDEQ 210V small form factor machine. This
    will have a Sempron 2300+ and one 512MB stick of PC3200, and will be running
    WinXP Home Ed. SP2. I want a card that will take advantage of the 8x AGP but
    not one that gobbles a lot of power, as this box only has a 200W power
    supply.

    I thought I'd get one without the extra-input Molex connector since that
    seems to imply heavy power usage. So I bought an Apollo GeForce FX 5500, 256
    MB and 128-bit memory interface. But the specs for this card call for a
    minimum 250W power supply and 300W recommended. I'm wondering how seriously
    to take that, as it seems to me I've read of other users installing more
    potent cards in these SFF boxes without problems. Any comment on this?

    I'll try the FX 5500 in another system first anyway, then see how it goes in
    the iDEQ. If it does seem to need more than the 200W PSU can put out, what
    are my best choices? I tend to favor Nvidia-based cards but would not rule
    out ATI if they have something more suitable to this particular situation
    (which is why I'm cross-posting).

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Nostrobino

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Nostrobino' wrote, in part:
    | I want a card that will take advantage of the 8x AGP but
    | not one that gobbles a lot of power, as this box only has a 200W power
    | supply.
    _____

    As it happens, 'Ed Light' posted a very valuable set of URLs on power
    consumption a few threads earlier; they ought to steer you right.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html
    (ATI card power consumption by actual measurment)
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html
    (nVidia card power consumption by actual measurment and ATI:nVidia
    comparison
    http://takaman.jp/D/?english
    (calculator to totalize system power consumption, perhaps a bit iffy)

    The recommendation for minimum power supply capacity by display adapter
    manufacturers is more cover-your-ass rather than anything exact. The
    measured nVida power consumption, according to Ed's cite, for an FX5700 is
    25 Watts under load.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Nostrobino

    Nostrobino Guest

    Phil, thanks a million! Looks like exactly what I need.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Nostrobino

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Nostrobino' wrote:
    | Phil, thanks a million! Looks like exactly what I need.
    _____

    Glad to help, but thank 'Ed Light'; that's where I got the URLs.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Sep 22, 2005