    cheers shonk and who else inputs to this

    :)

    Smith

    smith, Apr 12, 2004

  2. smith

    teqguy Guest

    Both are crap cards.

    I'm sick of people getting worried about Doom III and HalfLife 2....
    these games are not entirely graphics dependent.

    You also need a fast processor, a decent amount of memory, a nice EAX
    Surround sound supporting sound card, a large capacity hard drive and a
    fast internet connection.

    If your processor is 2.5Ghz or lower, upgrade that first.
    If you have 512mb of ram or lower, upgrade that first.
    If you have an Intel setup that doesn't support hyperthreading, upgrade
    that first because these games support hyperthreading.
    If you have a sound card that is unable to process DirectX9, EAX, or 32
    voices at a time... upgrade that.

    If you guys upgrade your graphics card and have a low performing system
    overall, don't expect to run these games in high quality.

    Both support multiplayer, so if you're still on budget broadband or
    dialup, don't expect to play online.

    These games aren't the pinnacle of gaming either... they're entirely
    over-hyped.

    Maybe you should spend that money on therapy... because you've
    obviously been warped into being a sheep over this hype.

    That isn't to say I'm not waiting for these games and drooling over
    screenshots and previews... but I'm not letting it affect my
    consciencous choice of what to upgrade and when to upgrade it.

    I'll believe it when I see it, and only upgrade when I need to upgrade.

    Spend your money on something enjoyable now, not something you might
    enjoy later.

    teqguy, Apr 12, 2004

  3. smith

    smith Guest

    ok fair enough i can see your point and yes i prolly have been caught up in
    the "get a cool card for my BUDGET that will run the games"

    just so you know, my PC spec is

    AMD 64bit 3000+
    512MB PC3200 DDR 400
    120GB Maxtor
    Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1
    5.1 Surround sound system

    i want to know which card out of those 2 i mentioned are the best to stick
    with that system as i will not be upgrading for a long while after i choose
    a card

    smith, Apr 12, 2004
  4. smith

    Kai Robinson Guest

    the radeon 9600 is a very good card - currently the mid range card in ATI's
    lineup. The 5600XT is a piece of crap - even outrun by the GeForce 3 Ti500.
    The 9600 has better DX9 compatibility and would make a better addition to a
    system than any nVidia card under the 5900XT

    XT for ATI = Top End
    XT for nVidia = CRAP

    Kai Robinson, Apr 12, 2004
  5. smith

    J.B. Guest

    Kinda depends, but for now 75% wrong.
    Way, way wrong.
    that's personal preference
    Depends on the "budget broadband" 128k (both way) and greater would
    be fine.
    Dialup=no good.
    How would you know. They aren't even out.

    <snip>

    I don't really like to correct people, but with this much
    misinformation being spewed forth I felt it was needed.

    You could put together a 2.5Ghz system with 512 megs
    of ram and an OEM SB card and pair it with a 9800xt
    and it would beat the pants off any 3.4Ghz w/HT system with
    1 gig of memory and an ATI 9600.

    Joe

    J.B., Apr 12, 2004
  6. smith

    smith Guest

    cheers J.B for clearing that up

    smith, Apr 13, 2004
  7. smith

    MinMin Guest

    Seconded. But if it doesn't cost much more get the 9600Pro (faster) or
    9600XT (fastest of the 9600 range - 500 core clock, 600 mem). I have a
    9600XT and very happy with it. But why have you limited yourself? With
    the system you've got, you'd be better off getting a card higher up the
    range.

    MinMin, Apr 13, 2004