FX5900 Ultra - Something About Temperatures Again

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by ntl: Victim, May 14, 2004.

  1. ntl: Victim

    ntl: Victim Guest

    Just a note to anyone out there with a 5900 Ultra...

    I have noticed that my card is consistently managing to hit temps of around
    77ºC, over the past month this has been gradually working it's up to this
    Temp even though I am not overclocking it.

    I know this isn't down to the warmer days as the temp in my case has always
    managed a near enough consistent 20ºC ~ 22ºC thanks to the 7 Fans I have
    blowing & sucking one hell of a lot of air though it.

    I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a gradual rise in temperature
    over time that is not related to the ambient temperature in the case?

    Could it be that the thermal transfer material between the GPU & the fan is
    breaking down? Could it be possible that the material used isn't quality
    stuff?

    Anyone have any suggestions, please shout them this way...

    Cheers
    NV

    ntl: Victim, May 14, 2004

  2. ntl: Victim

    Nada Guest

    If the fan makes sounds like a banshee from hell, it's time to replace
    the fan, but the 70+ Celsius temperatures on 5900 Ultras aren't rare.
    Some might even hit over 80+. I wouldn't worry about it until the
    games start to freeze.

    Check this article out for temperature comparisons:

    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955&p=18

    Nada, May 14, 2004

  3. About once every 6 weeks i take my pc apart, and clean it with my vacum
    cleaner, especially the fans and heat sinks, if you have a look at yours you
    will probably find it has quite a bit of dust on/around it.

    Rob

    live and let live, May 14, 2004
  4. Jezus man... you sound like a house maid...

    At least I dont have to clean my system... for a loooong loong time... or
    maybe only the cpu =D

    At least not the graphics card anymore !!! hoorah for that ! =D

    Skybuck Flying, May 14, 2004
  5. I´d rather clean my system every six weeks or so, than have to buy a new
    card or cpu because they have overheated through dust clogging them up.

    Rob

    live and let live, May 14, 2004
  6. ntl: Victim

    ntl: Victim Guest

    Lol yeah I keep an eye on the dust situation and thanks to a bit of DIY I
    have managed to filter almost all out with hardly any loss in air
    throughput.

    My worry was the ambient temps haven't risen but the core seems to be
    climbing gradually over time.

    ntl: Victim, May 14, 2004