    clicking very oddly. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening
    and how I can fix it. Both AGP video card and motherboard are 4x/8x.

    Any suggestions would be good, thank you.

    apavel, Apr 21, 2007

  2. apavel

    DaveW Guest

    Whenever you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it has
    been used with, then you MUST Reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install
    of the OS after the new motherboard is installed. Otherwise you get ongoing
    Registry errors and data corruption.

    DaveW, Apr 21, 2007

  3. apavel

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    As usual, DaveW is completely and utterly wrong.

    If you have a IDE FAT or NTFS HDD, and you wish to do an "in-place
    upgrade" which means you wish to replace the motherboard and/or a whole
    lot of other hardware but keep your existing data, you just go to
    Windows' device manager and change the IDE/ATA controller from whatever
    it was (perhaps it was an nvidia ATA driver) to the MSFT standard ATA
    controller, which is native to XP and available in all XP/2000
    installations.

    Once you reboot Windows with that supplied driver, you can then feel
    free to shut down and swap motherboards, as all motherboards will then
    be able to read that drive. There are no registry errors, no data
    corruption. Just standard device redetections, depending on what was
    changed. (PIO, Memory Controllers, on board devices, etc.)

    DaveW, do us all a favor and never post anything again, please. You suck.

    Mr.E Solved!, Apr 22, 2007
  4. apavel

    goPostal Guest

    <Slam>

    Ouch.

    goPostal, Apr 23, 2007
  5. apavel

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    I know, harsh. But DaveW's posts are like intellectual anti-matter to
    the valuable contributions of the regulars and lurkers.

    It's one thing to post idle speculations, it's another thing to post
    opinion, and it's another thing to be uninformed and be stubborn when
    corrected...all those things have polite workarounds and don't require a
    personal attack.

    But his repeated posts of blatant tech-garbage as if they are
    established practice is a big raised middle finger to those who take the
    time to share and educate, not to mention confusing to those who do not
    know whom to trust in this NG.

    He does it far too often and I think it's pathological, even more so if
    it is an alter-ego of a regular poster...how can someone be so utterly
    wrong unless they are trying to be? <shudder>

    Mr.E Solved!, Apr 23, 2007
  6. apavel

    goPostal Guest

    The problem I see is that if you present yourself as a knowledgeable
    individual about a subject, someone is apt to take it as gospel. This past
    exchange for instance is a good example. If the OP was to just read the post
    about the board not working he might start a full re-imaging thinking it was
    the right course of action.
    It's always a good idea to check several sources on fixing a problem, but if
    you are the advice giver be SURE you are correct and not just guessing or
    passing on hearsay. You might cause someone serious trouble. I think that is
    one of my favorite things about this particular NG. Assertions are very
    often backed up with facts and references.

    goPostal, Apr 23, 2007