FYI: Processor Upgrade 6BTM 0

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by Holger Scharf, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Hi out there,

    if someone is thinking about to upgrade his 6BTM and has the "old" version
    with the PWM IC "HIP6004ACB" which will only work with Slot 1 Katmai (up to
    600 Mhz) and not with Slot1 Coppermine since the board has a min. voltage of
    1.8V, here's a way how to speed up your board:

    Upgrading with a Slot1 Processor: the fastest one is indeed a PIII
    600Mhz/100FSB/2.0V Katmai
    But if you use an Slot1 to Socket 370 Adapter (I'm using a MSI 6905 Master V
    2.3), a Socket 370 PIII 850Mhz/100FSB/1.7V (or the 1.75V version) will work!
    First, upgrade you BIOS to the newest version 08/17/2000. This one can be
    found on the Chaintech Website.
    As the board has a minimum voltage of 1.8V, just set the voltage jumpers of
    the MSI 6905 Master to 1.8V. The PIII will work without a problem!
    I testet also a Celeron 800/100FSB/1.7V - works also fine! The higher
    voltage of 0.1V will not result in a temperature problem: Temperature of
    both CPUs will not be critical high, about 30°C with normal usage of the PC
    (working with MS Office, Internet, etc.).

    This solution should also work with other Slot1-boards than the 6BTM

    Hope, this will help someone out there!

    Holgi

    Holger Scharf, Sep 27, 2004