G4 4400 - strange vid problem, strange error

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by heynow, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. heynow

    heynow Guest

    first off, sorry for such a long story but i felt that to much info i
    better than to little. ;-) thanks very much for any and all help!

    hey all, need some help here. i was out of town for about a week an
    my comp was off and unplugged for that time. when i returned hom
    everything was in normal working order while working on the comp tha
    evening, but in the morning things went horribly wrong. anything vide
    related made strange multi-colored lines appear horizontally on th
    screen in random groupings. when i say anything video related, i mea
    full screen or windowed, movies (no matter what vid player used)
    action games (Battlefield 1942, Soldier of Fortune 2), other game
    (Kyodai Mahjong), and even any web pages with video in them.
    everything would be working normal and then as soon as anything vide
    happened the multi-colored horizontal lines would appear and the
    disappear when the video was shut off. the comp was in normal workin
    order before, during, and after the video, with the obvious exceptio
    of the weird lines.

    after this started happening, i ran all Norton Systemworks stuff (viru
    scan with new updates, disc doctor, win doctor, etc) as well a
    Ad-Aware 6 professional (fully updated) and Spybot S&D (fully update
    and immunized). i looked around in DXDIAG and ran the tests and foun
    that 2 of the video tests were not correct. i uninstalled my ol
    NVIDIA drivers and then installed the newest version (56.64) whic
    fixed the strange multi-colored lines appearing during anything video
    and fixed (apparently) all problems with SoF 2 and Kyodai. however
    Battlefield 1942 was still not working correctly. i decided t
    uninstall the newest drivers and install the next earlier versio
    (53.04) but still had the same problem. i then tried another versio
    (45.23) with similar results, everything appeared normal except fo
    Battlefield. i also tried installing my original drivers that wer
    working perfect for months before this started, but that made th
    strange lines come back again during video. i then tried the nex
    driver version back (44.03) and it was around this point that i ra
    into my first blue-screen error message of this whole episode (whic
    ive only seen 3 or 4 times total now).

    Windows
    An exception 06 has occurred at 0028:C0013803 in VxD VMM(01)+
    00012803. This was called from 0028:C023F58B in VxD VMM(0C)+
    0000058B. It may be possible to continue normally.
    Press any key to return or Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

    bottom line, everything works normal now after the uninstall/install o
    the various newer NVIDIA drivers except for the video problems with BF
    hopefully someone can shed some light on a possible fix for thi
    problem. the following is a .jpg of screenshots showing what BF look
    like when the problem happens (sometimes i can play for a whil
    normally before the vid problem happens).
    *note - i just realized that when the vid problem happens if i chang
    the resolution of BF the problem temporarily goes away.

    http://img2.exs.cx/img2/5866/screenshotsamples.jpg

    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 7/1/2004, 19:42:35
    Machine name: HEYNOW
    Operating System: Windows Me (4.90, Build 3000)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: n/a
    System Model: n/a
    BIOS: Intel
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 106MB used, 893MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 4.09.0000.0902 32bit
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type:
    DAC type:
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0251&SUBSYS_87101462&REV_A3\000800
    Display Memory: 127.5 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit)(optimal refresh rate)
    Monitor: Sylvania F97
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nvdisp.drv
    Driver Version: 4.14.0001.4345 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7/28/2003 15:19:00, 107616 bytes
    -------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80611102&REV_07\68F000
    Manufacturer ID: 2
    Product ID: 104
    Type: VXD
    Driver Name: EMU10K1.VXD
    Driver Version: 4.12.0001.0906 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 9/19/2000 01:10:00, 382541 bytes
    Other Files: emu10k1.vxd
    Driver Provider: Creative
    HW Accel Level: Full

    heynow, Jul 2, 2004

  2. heynow

    MheAd Guest

    I think it's time for you to do a clean re-install of your OS...

    MheAd, Jul 2, 2004

  3. heynow

    Kelly Cotter Guest

    not yet it's not
    go here http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=5 and download one of
    the driver remover tools.
    remove your driver then use one of the tools to remove any "bits" that get
    left behind
    reboot and reinstall latest driver from www.guru3d.com
    also i'd download and run these be sure to update them

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ adaware

    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download spybot

    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download cwshredder

    http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693 spyware blaster

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html some other usefull removal
    tools

    also do a full virus scan

    Kelly Cotter, Jul 2, 2004
  4. heynow

    MheAd Guest

    The reason I wrote that it's time to re-install Windows is because I
    personally don't think this is a driver related issue.
    More likely, something weird happened with DirectX and/or registry...

    Kelly Cotter, Jul 3, 2004