G4/450 processor upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Eric P., May 16, 2006.

  1. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    Hello,

    Today I received a Giga Designs 1.8GB processor upgrade
    for my single-processor G4/450 AGP graphics ("Sawtooth")
    system. I followed the installation instructions to the letter,
    but could not achieve success. I plugged in the power cord
    and started the machine to make sure the fans worked,
    which they did. I unplugged the machine, closed it, plugged
    everything into it (keyboard, monitor, USB hub, external
    Firewire HD), and pressed the power button. Full power
    to the computer, but the monitor didn't "wake up" from
    standby mode to start up.

    I don't know if it makes a difference, but I had to change
    the DIP switches according to the instruction manual. They
    were set in order: on, on, on, off, off. The manual showed
    that I should set them to off, off, on, off, on, which I did.

    Does anyone have an idea why I didn't achieve success,
    and what I need to do to make the system work with the
    new processor? I've replaced the original so I can use my
    computer in the mean time.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks and happy computing,
    Eric

    Eric P., May 16, 2006

  2. Eric P.

    Henry Guest

    Maybe, but.... According to the Apple Spec database, that G4/450 has a
    200 watt power supply. I have a G4/450 dual processor (gigabit ethernet)
    with a 220 watt power supply. I have put in a PowerLogix dual 1.8 G
    brain transplant as well as three SCSI hard disks and a second (PCI)
    video card and there's plenty of power for all that.

    cheers,

    Henry

    Henry, May 17, 2006

  3. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    Yes, I wouldn't think that the stock video card would demand much
    power. I'm sure I didn't damage anything during the procedure, either,
    so I'm really stumped and disappointed...still hopeful, though. I'd
    hate to have spent so much money for something that doesn't work.

    Keep the ideas coming!
    Thanks,
    Eric

    Eric P., May 17, 2006
  4. Eric P.

    John Snow Guest

    I had to install the patest G4 software update before my G4 upgrade
    would work.

    John Snow, May 21, 2006
  5. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    John,

    Could you please be more specific? What software update
    do you mean? I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2, and my firmware
    is as updated as it can be. Perhaps I'm still missing something.

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Eric P., May 22, 2006
  6. Eric P.

    John Snow Guest

    I should have said FIRMWARE update. I believe I also had to trash a
    dual processor extension to get my PowerLogix to work.

    John Snow, May 24, 2006