G450: both monitors flash

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by caesarbox, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. caesarbox

    caesarbox Guest

    I just bought a new (to me, I think) Matrox G450. I installed it in my
    computer, plugged two monitors into it and started up the computer.
    Both of my monitors started flashing and then eventually just went
    black. The computer kept booting, but I couldn't see anything on the
    screen.

    I turned off the computer, plugged my main monitor back into my old
    built-in video card and booted up.

    Nothing on the screen, but windows booted.

    I removed the matrox card and started the computer again, and
    everything worked fine, except I wasn't using my brand new video card I
    paid big bucks for (well, not really that big -- but they were bucks!)

    Did I do something wrong. Do I have to do something to make this thing
    work?

    Help, please!

    caesarbox, Jun 29, 2006

  2. caesarbox

    caesarbox Guest

    Forgot to mention that the screen stays white after the initial
    flashing.

    caesarbox, Jun 29, 2006

  3. As you were originally using the onboard graphics card, you may have
    to go into the bios and change the setting for which graphics adaptor
    the machine uses.
    On older motherboards this was sometimes controlled by a jumper on the
    motherboard.

    Sounds like what's happening is that the bios is telling the machine
    to use the onboard graphics adaptor...and when you plug the Matrox in
    you have nothing connected to the onboard VGA socket.

    Regards,

    Stephen Howard, Jun 30, 2006
  4. caesarbox

    caesarbox Guest

    Well,

    I've disabled the onboard card within windows, and my BIOS is already
    set to go to AGP and PCI first (it's an agp card.)

    It seems to be recognizing the card, because my onboard video no longer
    works once the new one is installed. And... when I hit "DELETE" as I'm
    booting up, with the new card installed, the whitish/grey flashing
    screen turns to green, which is the color of my BIOS screen.

    So it seems to be "working" but just not showing me what's on the
    screen. Can this be the sign of a defective card? Or just a defective
    installer (me.)

    caesarbox, Jul 9, 2006
  5. Disabled within Windows? That won't have any effect on how the machine
    boots with the Matrox.
    Sounds like you have the right bios settings though...
    You might need to reset the computer's 'resources' - if the bios is
    assigning a resource that the card needs to another device then this
    could hang things up.
    There should be a setting in your bios that says something like 'Reset
    configuration data"
    I'm tempted to blame the card - but the only way to be really sure
    would be to pop a different card in and see if the same thing happens.
    If it does then it points to a problem with the bois/moboard settings.

    Regards,

    Stephen Howard, Jul 10, 2006
  6. caesarbox

    caesarbox Guest

    OK... so I did the following:

    1. "Enabled" Reset Configuration Data in my BIOS and rebooted. =>
    Result: No change, same flashing screen that goes blank.

    2. Tried another card in the same slot. => Result: Other card works
    fine in that slot.

    3. Tried the Matrox in another computer => Result: Same flashing
    screen that goes blank as I had on the original computer.

    My conclusion: card is bad. Just before I email the ebayer who sold
    it to me, I'd like your expert opinion. What do you think?

    caesarbox, Jul 11, 2006
  7. On 11 Jul 2006 13:20:03 -0700, wrote:
    I'm no expert...but if I'd done all you've done and still ended up
    with a blank screen then I'd see no reason why it wasn't safe to
    assume the card was defective.

    I can't see that either of us have missed any critical points, or
    overlooked anything obvious.

    The only other possibility is that both motherboards have agp slots
    that are incompatible with the G450 - but as the 450 works on 1,2 and
    4x agp at 3.3 or 1.5v, I wouldn't have thought you could be so unlucky
    as to find two boards it wouldn't work with.
    Does the bios have an AGP speed setting?
    Some boards, although fitted with a 4/8x agp slot, had problems
    running the 450 unless the agp slot was manually set to 1x.

    If you have such a setting in your bios I suppose it's always worth
    tweaking it and seeing what happens - but I suspect that the card's
    had it.

    Regards,

    Stephen Howard, Jul 11, 2006