g5 in basement, monitor and keyboard upstairs?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by mugrean, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. mugrean

    mugrean Guest

    I'm kind of sound sensitive. I don't like having my G5 in my office.
    It's kind of quite, and I've controlled the nap so that it doesn't
    make that awful
    electric buzz and set my power options to further quite it, but I
    wouldn't mind if I didn't have to hear it at all.

    I'd like to keep it the G5 my basement and use the keyboard and 23
    inch monitor upstairs, without noticing any difference (other than the
    silence!). So no delay or slow performance on the screen. I wouldn't
    mind being able to hook up usb 2.0 devices too, like my camera.

    Any suggestions for doing so? What sort of harware would I need (it
    should be quiet). I prefer not to run cables through the house.
    I have an airport extreme router, and also have an airport card in my
    G5 and an airport express (I could use that for sound).

    Perhaps a mac mini with Apple's remote desktop software would do the
    trick. Would thatbe quiet (I've never used a mini), and give no
    noticeable difference on the screen? Would that continue to work with
    things like Desktop manager, fast user switching,
    iTerm full screen?

    Another option would be to get a sound isolating box for the G5. Do
    they work? Any danger fo the computer over heating? In the summer, it
    runs in a room without airconditioning and the room temperature can
    get to be around 30 degrees centigrade.

    mugrean, Sep 6, 2007

  2. It sounds like the MacMini is the solution for you,
    A MacMini will drive 1920x1200 screens (e.g. my 24inch Dell),
    are very quiet, and very unobtrusive.

    But my question is why do you want the G5 anyway?
    Do you need its CPU performance (in which case an Intel MacMini may
    match that anyway), or do you have large storage in the G5?
    With the G5 in the basement you can't access the CD/DVD, maybe not a
    biggie, but another plus for a desktop machine.
    And you mentioned the USB.....

    Chris McDonald, Sep 6, 2007

  3. mugrean

    mugrean Guest

    I experimented with VNC, and the chicken and my laptop (no need for a
    mini).

    Even with both computers hooke up to ethernet, vnc was annoying, and
    some things didn't work at all (for example iterm
    would not display properly, and dragging windows was unresponsive. I'd
    close windows, and they wouldn't dissappear.

    I wonder if I've configured VNC and chicken incorrectly.

    Anyhow, any ideas on how long a sound isolating boxes. Not sure I can
    run extension power and dvi cables to my apple screen.

    mugrean, Sep 8, 2007
  4. mugrean

    Bob Harris Guest

    The OP might consider an "Ethernet KVM Switch". Do a google
    search for this device. That might work more transparently.

    However, they are NOT cheap, but if money is no object...

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Sep 8, 2007