G5 Sound Output to Stereo Receiver?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jacob Reverb, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Jacob Reverb

    Jacob Reverb Guest

    Does anyone know if I can feed the sound (speaker) output from my G5 to
    a pair of the audio (RCA) inputs on the back of a conventional stereo
    receiver?

    (Instead of shelling out $100+ for some good computer speakers, I'm
    considering buying a receiver and using some spare speakers I have.)

    I figure if I get a patch cord with a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and 2
    RCA connectors on the other end, it should be possible. I just don't
    know whether it's *recommended.*

    My specific concerns/questions are these:

    1. If I do this, will I still be able to control mute/volume from my
    keyboard, or will I have to use the volume knob on the stereo receiver?

    2. If I have the volume knob on the receiver turned up, say, halfway,
    and then I use the volume keys on my keyboard to throttle-up and -down,
    if I turn the volume on the computer all the way up, will I be sending
    too strong of a signal to the stereo receiver? (My concern here isn't
    distortion so much, but rather, sending too-strong a signal to the
    receiver and possibly frying something in the receiver.)

    Thank you for any information.

    Jacob

    Jacob Reverb, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Jacob Reverb

    Marshall Guest

    I don't think so. It's just an audio signal.

    Marshall, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Jacob Reverb

    buzz off Guest

    Yes, it will work like a champ . You can get the cable at Radio Shack.

    buzz off, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Jacob Reverb

    Chris Guest

    For this very reason, Apple created the Airport Express.

    Chris, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Jacob Reverb

    Marshall Guest

    Just use your headphone output.

    Marshall, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Jacob Reverb

    Tron Guest

    This is exactly how you do it, using your headphone out jack.
    You can use either.
    Receiver, no. Speakers, yes. Your computer can't generate a signal
    powerful enough to hurt your receiver, but radically increasing the
    power output of the receiver can damage your speakers. The answer to
    this is to figure out how much volume your receiver/speaker system can
    handle with the computer's volume turned all the way up. If it sounds
    distorted, it is too loud. Just leave your receiver's volume setting
    around that level, and then only change the volume with your computer.

    There is also a similar risk when switching the receiver's input between
    the computer and standard audio components using a line level (as
    opposed to the computer's headphone level) signal.

    I have this setup and use both volume controls. You just have to be a
    little cautious.

    Tron, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Jacob Reverb

    Joel Farris Guest

    Here's the lowdown info straight from a professional sound guy. The G5 has a
    headphone output with an 1/8" or 3.5mm jack. This output is either line level or
    headphone level, depending on where your G5's volume control is set!

    You can get a cable with 3.5mm stereo on one end and dual RCA on the other. This
    will connect directly to the RCA aux inputs of your receiver. It is impossible
    to damage the receiver with the volume of a computer, a diskman, or any consumer
    grade audio aoutput device. The reason for this is that line level, or 0.775
    volts RMS, is the max that any device is designed to put out.

    Simply set the audio output of your G5 to the first dot (or bar), and then turn
    up your receiver until you reach a comfortable volume with the iTunes volume
    cranked. The downside to all this is that your system sounds, like "You've got
    mail", will be coming through the receiver in full glory as well.

    You might want to look at the Airport Express. It will allow you to send Tunes
    to the receiver while working without that Victoria's Secret Flash-animated
    background music getting in the way...

    Joel Farris, Nov 16, 2004
  8. That's an expensive audio cable (unless you're an audiophile).

    Neill Massello, Nov 16, 2004
  9. Jacob Reverb

    Dave Seaman Guest

    It may be worth noting that in addition to the analog inputs and outputs,
    the current G5's also offer Dolby Digital 5.1 via TOSLINK connections in
    and out. When you use these, the computer's volume controls are no
    longer operative and you have to control the volume at the external
    device.

    Dave Seaman, Nov 16, 2004
  10. Jacob Reverb

    Adrian Guest

    No they didn't. The OP just wants to confirm that he can connect his G5
    audio outputs to audio line in connectors on domestic stereo equipment
    .... he can ... in fact that's what they are designed for! Airport
    Express is so you can achieve the same thing but at a distance. I
    personally use conventional cable connections AND Airport Express
    (frequently, at the same time but carrying different sound outputs to
    their respective amps) both ways work well.

    Adrian, Nov 16, 2004
  11. Question - are there any rumours that Apple will market an Airport Express
    type unit that does audio *and* video ? Somewhat like the Pinnacle
    ShowCentre (send video to your tv, audio to your stereo and make and control
    playlists via your tv and a remote for the showcentre box in a nice little
    user interface displayed on yer telly. Your computer act as a server for
    the files.)

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Nov 18, 2004