    I am in the process of buying a NIC and hopefully it will solve the
    problem. Meanwhile, if anyone ever did the installation and there's a
    trick to it please let me know. Thanks, Bruno

    Bruno R, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Bruno R

    Ben Myers Guest

    A USB-to-DSL or USB-to-cable modem connection is to be avoided. Much much
    better to install even an inexpensive 10/100 Ethernet card. The G6-400
    motherboard has only USB 1.1 built-in, whereas the Westell 2200 may demand USB
    2.0. Also, if your version of Windows 98 is not quite up to speed, your system
    may lack the proper USB drivers. Regardless, go with a NIC! People living in
    NYC used to say "Go NICs!", I think because they liked to network a lot.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Bruno R

    Bruno R Guest

    Thank you for the encouragement, Ben. I did go 'NICs' but I've
    encountered a different problem. Trying to establish my account with
    Verizon I cannot connect via the Westell 2200 (DSL) modem but instead
    the built-in modem dials up my current AT&T connection. ;-(

    It may take me a while to consult with someone more knowledgeable than
    myself in order to solve this dilemma. Of course I could call Verizon
    but they don't have the sharpest knives in the drawer, either, and I
    don't need to reformat my HD, if you get the drift?! Thanks, Bruno

    Bruno R, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Bruno R

    Bruno R Guest

    Sorry, forgot to mention that the (Westell 2200 (DSL) modem) then is
    connected to a LINKSYS Wireless-G Broadband Router to which two laptops
    are attached that work just fine. The problem is only how to get the
    Gateway G6-400 do a similar function. Bruno

    Bruno R, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Bruno R

    Ben Myers Guest

    Click on Internet Options, either in IE or Control Panel, Click the Connections
    Tab, then click the radio button "Never dial a connection"... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Bruno R

    Bruno R Guest

    That helped, of course, but I discovered to my dismay that when I wanted
    to avail myself of "Windows98 Troubleshooters" they turned out to be
    empty, i.e. when I click on the radio buttons there is no further
    information ;-( Is there a way to reinstall this feature w/o messing up
    something else? Bruno

    Bruno R, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Bruno R

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Windows98 Troubleshooters" is one of the more useless parts of Windows 98, but
    if you want to reinstall it, there are two choices.

    One is to identify the file(s) used, and to extract them from the Windows 98 CAB
    files either on CD or somewhere on your hard drive. Unfortunately, I do not
    have the names of these files handy. Extracting them usually requires that you
    use the DOS-mode EXTRACT program with some fairly arcane command line
    parameters. Beginning with some version of WINZIP (I forget which version),
    WINZIP also opens up Windows CAB files, so if you have WINZIP on your computer
    you can extract the files that way.

    The other way is to reinstall Windows 98 over the existing Windows software,
    selecting all options. This approach requires that you cross your fingers and
    hope and pray that a Windows re-install does not botch up your computer.
    Recovery of missing files is a non-existent feature of Windows 98. Windows
    installs are always a bit perilous, because Microsoft gave scant attention to
    anything that one might have to do to fix up a Windows 98 gone wrong.

    Ben Myers, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Bruno R

    Bruno R Guest

    Hi Ben;

    To conclude this thread I again want to thank you for your most valuable
    assistance. I had been thinking about reinstalling Windows 98 over the
    existing Windows software as I had done a few times in the past w/o any
    negative consequences. I will, though, cross my fingers and hope every
    thing will turn out all right. Since I am not too dependent on this
    'old' machine I'll take my chances. Thanks again, Bruno

    Bruno R, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Bruno R

    Bruno R Guest

    Hi everybody!

    One final note to this saga that I feel I should communicate. Just
    finished trying re-installing Windows 98 over my existing Windows
    software. However, the re-installation refused to take my legitimate
    Product ID # 17598-OEM-0035085-40735 that came with the purchase of the
    Gateway G6-400. It simply declared the number as invalid!! (There one
    sits with all one's talent, but little can be done about the refusal.)

    Fortunately, I was able to restore this functional computer to its
    previous condition. With that I must give credit to Win98 as a rather
    robust operating system, IMHO ;-). I have XP as well as XPP on my other
    machines, but I still like the 'elegant' simplicity of Win98.

    Take care, Bruno

    Bruno R, Aug 27, 2004
  10. Bruno R

    Bruno R Guest

    It was my error, because the registration number is printed on the
    "Getting Started Microsoft Windows98" For distribution with a new PC only.
    (I had mistaken Product ID for registration number).

    Now, I have second thoughts about re-installing Win98, because I have
    updated
    the system files already too often in the past, and I fear I will lose
    the benefit
    of those previous updates. What say you?

    Thanks, Bruno

    Bruno R, Aug 29, 2004