G6 Pentium II Upgrade Problem - Old School - Longish

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by eganwh, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. eganwh

    eganwh Guest

    I posted this in a couple other groups and got some advise to come here
    to the all-knowing Gateway group.

    I have an old Gateway G-6 233 system which I am making modest upgrades
    on. System is a P2 233-mhz with Intel AL440LX mobo. OS is Win95/ME
    Upgrade. I'm setting this machine up for my 4-year old to play games
    on. Some of his games require a minimum 300-mhz processor hence the
    processor upgrade below. Here's what I have done so far:

    1) Upgraded Gateway BIOS from 4A4LL0X0.15A.0013.P10 to most current
    Gateway BIOS available (0023.P18).
    2) Upgraded SDRAM to 192-mb from original 64-mb. Windows recognized the
    additional memory.
    3) Upgraded slot 1 P2 processor from P2 233-mhz to a P2 300-mhz. The
    original P2 233 processor has a spec #SL2HD (Stepping code C1, non-ECC
    memory) and the new P2 300 has a spec #SL28R (Stepping code C0, ECC
    memory).

    Step 3 is where I ran into a problem. After installing the new 300-mhz
    processor, I changed the J8B2 jumper to the 2/3 pin position to get
    into the configure mode. Powered up, setup executed after the POST run,
    I changed the processor speed from 233 to 300, exited the setup, and
    saved the changes. I powered down as instructed, changed the jumper
    back to the 1/2 pin position and rebooted. During the boot, the BIOS
    displayed my chip speed as 133-mhz. I repeated the procedure several
    times, but each time the 133-mhz processor speed was displayed during
    boot. I also tried setting the speed to 266-mhz using this procedure
    and 133-mhz was again displayed.

    I then replaced the new P2 with the original 233-mhz P2 and tried
    different speed settings using the configure procedure. All settings
    for the original processor resulted in the 133-mhz displayed during
    boot EXCEPT the 233-mhz setting resulted in 233-mhz displayed. The
    Intel motherboard manual states this board supports all P2 processors
    in frequencies of 233, 266, 300, and 333. These four frequency options
    are also available when in the configure mode.

    I ran a system check with wcpuid.exe to see if the BIOS displayed speed
    was incorrect. Sure enough, somehow the new processor speed was 133-mhz
    with a multiplier of 5.5 and a bus speed of 24.3. How could this reduce
    my effective FSB speed? From what I have read this processor (P2 300)
    has a locked (not able to change in configure mode) multiplier of 4.5
    for use in a 66-mhz system. When I plugged in the old processor and
    configured for 233-mhz wcpuid.exe showed a processor speed of 233-mhz
    (multiplier of 3.5 with 66-mhz bus speed).

    What gives? Did I do something wrong in my procedure, or do stepping
    codes or ECC memory types need to be the same when upgrading
    processors? Is the proprietary Gateway supplied BIOS locking me out of
    the upgrade - should I try using the latest Intel supplied BIOS
    86A.0031.P14 via the BIOS recovery mode? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

    eganwh, Jan 9, 2005

  2. eganwh

    Ben Myers Guest

    Something is very much wrong with the jumper that controls system configuration
    and/or BIOS recovery. Check the settings again. The system still seems to be
    "stuck" in configuration mode. Download Intel's manual for the AL440LX for
    exact information, more info than you'll ever really need. Go to www.intel.com

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 9, 2005

  3. eganwh

    eganwh Guest

    I've been using the Intel al440lx manual to make the changes. I think
    the modes are working ok. Configure mode gets me into the processor
    speed / password setup screen in the BIOS. After making changes in
    configure mode, shutting down, changing to Normal mode the system boots
    ok.

    eganwh, Jan 9, 2005
  4. eganwh

    gdp Guest

    I upgraded a 266 to a 333 a couple years ago and didn't even go through
    configure mode. It just recognized the new processor and speed right
    away. That was with the latest BIOS.

    gdp, Jan 9, 2005
  5. eganwh

    eganwh Guest

    I assume that was with the same board. Were you using the latest
    Gateway supplied BIOS or another?

    eganwh, Jan 9, 2005
  6. eganwh

    gdp Guest

    Yes it was with the same board, with the latest BIOS.

    gdp, Jan 10, 2005
  7. If you must upgrade such an old machine, be aware that these old Gateway
    440LX motherboards also do well with 66 MHz bus speed Celerons up to 500
    MHz if you use a slot to socket adapter.

    Bruce Gaylinn, Jan 11, 2005
  8. eganwh

    w-egan Guest

    I thought about it. You have probably run across Bill Selk's page on
    upgrading this board with a couple of the slocket products out there.
    Interesting stuff. I was just doing this on the cheap - I got used
    upgrades (hdd, cpu, and memory) for the G6 off ebay for $40 total. For
    the price of an LX-mobo slocket & cpu upgrade you can get an old GW P3
    (600 ~ 800mhz) machine off ebay which is probably more bang for the
    upgrade $ considering the faster FSB and ATA transfer rates with the
    newer mobos.

    Anyway, I tried a couple other ideas but still could not get the new
    cpu recognized. I'm giving up - my 4-year old will just have to play
    Tonka Town with some slight frame rate issues. Thanks to all for the
    help.

    Cheers.

    w-egan, Jan 11, 2005
  9. eganwh

    Rod Guest

    I have a genuine Intel AL440LX board you can have. There is no setup to go
    through on it, it was last used with a 300MHZ PII.

    Email if you want it.

    Rod, Jan 17, 2005