GA-5AA, ATI Mach 64 and Win2K

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Simon Elliott, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. I've recently acquired an old box which I was hoping to rebuild and pass
    on to the children as a games machine. The previous owner successfully
    used it under Win98 so I'm fairly confident all components are
    functioning. The processor is an AMD K6 400.

    Win2K Pro SP3 has installed successfully on a new HDD, the problem is
    that the graphics card, an ATI MACH 64 GX PCI won't install correctly.
    Device Manager says "The Device Cannot Start (Code 10)" after installing
    the drivers from the W2K install disk that the ATI website says should
    work.

    I suspect the graphics card needs something from the motherboard but the
    driver disk that came with the mobo doesn't have any Win2K drivers. I've
    looked all over the Gigabyte website and can only find drivers for
    revision 3.2 of the board. The manual accompanying the PC identifies
    itself as Revision 2.2 so suspect these drivers aren't appropriate.

    I can find lots of Net references to Win2K running on a GA-5AA, although
    it's not on the Win2K HCL (but then neither is the GA-7VRXP that I wrote
    this on). Of course none of the references mention what revision of
    board.

    So the question is, has anyone got a GA-5AA rev. 2.2 running with Win2K
    and if so, where did you get your drivers from? I'd be particularly
    interested to hear from anyone using this combination with an ATI Mach
    64.

    Thank you for your time.

    Simon Elliott, Sep 17, 2003

  2. With no successful result to any of my tinkering I turned to my test box. I
    took the card out of that one (an ATI Direct3D AGP 2X it calls itself) and
    installed it in the GA-5AA without a hitch. The offending Mach 64 GX PCI
    similarly went back into the test box (unsure what the MOBO is in this one)
    without a problem. I can only assume some incompatibility between the
    Gigabyte and ATI cards caused the problem, but I don't know what it was.

    A public Thank You to those that contacted me off list with suggestions and
    offers of help.

    Simon Elliott, Sep 21, 2003