    Kind regards,
    Doug Hutcheson
    Brisbane, Australia

    Doug Hutcheson, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Doug Hutcheson

    Alien Zord Guest

    If it runs at 650 then it will almost certainly go all the way to 1100MHz. I
    have two 6BXDS boards running with 1100MHz CPUs. The BIOS reports 1062MHz
    but OSes correctly report 1100MHz.

    Alien Zord, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Doug Hutcheson

    Geo Guest

    My main machine uses the same board with a 1100MHz celeron (100MHz FSB).
    This is in a Slotket (it has worked in two types without any problem).

    Geo

    Geo, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Doug Hutcheson

    Bob Guest

    Doug,

    Gigabyte doesn't have a CPU to Motherboard chart for the 6BXx series
    anymore, however, your Rev 2 motherboard will support the "Coppermine" PIII
    CPU's, up to 1GHz.

    I'm running PIII 850 MHz CPUs in my 6BXE motherboards with no problems.
    Just stick to the 100 MHz FSB processors, and you won't have any problems.
    Now finding a 1GHZ Slot 1 CPU, that could be a problem....

    Bob.

    Bob, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Alien, Geo and Bob,
    Thank you for the prompt and helpful responses.
    I will now start looking for a faster CPU.

    As I am not into gaming or video intensive work, will a Celeron be just as
    good as a full PIII, or is there still a performance hit? I am more
    concerned with speeding up my web server (Apache), PostgreSQL, C
    compilations and so forth.

    Again, warm thanks to all for your assistance.

    Kind regards,
    Doug

    Doug Hutcheson, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Doug Hutcheson

    Bob Guest

    Doug,

    As long as you stick to a 100 MHz FSB processor, you should do fine. With a
    66 MHz FSB (the original Celerons, not the current ones) you do take a hit
    in memory access speed, hard drive access speed, etc. The chipset on the
    6BXC boards are not rated for 133 MHz FSB, despite having switches allowing
    you to run at that speed. I never had any success, but then again, you
    might.

    One other thought: I've switched over to using ATA-66 Promise controllers
    for my hard drives, since the built in IDE controllers on the mom-board only
    run at ATA-33 speeds. It did make the operating system (Win2K, XP) load and
    run a bit faster than the built in controllers. If you are running 8 Gbyte
    or larger hard disks, they probably can support the ATA-66 or higher
    controllers.

    Since you are more into programming and running server type processes, I
    think going with a fast hard drive controller, along with as much memory
    that you can put onto the motherboard will help. Back in June to September,
    I took a course on Visual Basic .NET, and there was a huge difference
    between the classroom computer and my system here at home in terms of
    performance. The box at school was an AMD 1.4 GHz processor, with 256
    MBytes of memory. At home, a slower PIII 850, but with 1 Gbyte of RAM.
    Visual Studio / Basic would load and run far faster here at home than at
    school, despite having the faster processor in the classroom. (Home and
    school were both running XP, with the full Visual Studio package, and SQL
    Server.)

    Just more things for you to consider. <grin>

    Regards,
    Bob.

    Bob, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Bob,

    You are confirming much of what I suspected.

    I can only go to 768Mb on this board and plan to do so (currently only 384),
    so my other avenue for higher throughput after that will be more Hz in the
    CPU. It is very encouraging that a 100FSB Celeron should do the job, because
    fast Slot1 PIIIs are not thick on the ground and I will have to take what I
    can get/afford I guess.

    The throttle on performance right now is not disk i/o, so ATA33 is OK, but I
    will certainly follow your advice if the beast becomes disk-bound after I
    have shoved as many Hz as I can through it.

    Greatly appreciate your advice, and your taking the time to offer it.

    Kind regards,
    Doug

    Doug Hutcheson, Dec 3, 2003