ga-73pvm-s2 sata puzzle

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Harry Syme, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. Harry Syme

    Harry Syme Guest

    I have this board with a sata drive as boot drive

    It was plugged into SATAII0

    I plugged an additional drive into SATAII3

    Bios detected it fine but xp didnt.

    When I plugged it into SATAII1 it worked fine

    There are 4 sockets in total numbered 0 to 3

    Do I have to use them in order? I am not using raid and have the bios set to
    use sata as ide.

    According to the manual these are standard sata sockets and 2 can be used
    for raid but my understanding from other pcs is that I dont have to use 2
    and 3 for raid i can just use them as additional sata sockets.

    Is my socket broke or do I have to add them in order?

    I dont have a 3rd drive to try it.

    Harry Syme, Sep 4, 2009

  2. Harry Syme

    Joe Guest

    Has the drive been initialized? Until windows has partitioned the drive
    it can't see it.

    Joe, Sep 4, 2009

  3. Harry Syme

    Joe Guest

    Go into the BIOS and make sure that all the SATA ports have RAID
    disabled if you are not using it. G to control panel and disk
    management. The drive will not show up as a normal drive until
    initialized. If it does not show up in the Bios then it will not show in
    the disk management.

    Joe, Sep 8, 2009
  4. Harry Syme

    Joe Guest

    Did you give it a drive letter? Is it the only drive in the machine? If
    you gave it a drive letter and it is the same as another drive, you will
    have a problem.

    Joe, Sep 9, 2009
  5. Harry Syme

    Joe Guest

    Is the drive in question the boot drive or what?

    Joe, Sep 10, 2009
  6. Harry Syme

    Joe Guest

    Remove all drives but the one in question. Boot from a Win XP or Vista
    disk and try to install XP or Vista. If it recognizes the drive to
    install then the problem is not the drive.

    Joe, Sep 11, 2009
  7. Harry Syme

    Joe Guest

    No, but in your case it seems they do.