    (and the few
    seconds delay it causes)?

    TIA

    KernelDebugger, Aug 7, 2010

  2. KernelDebugger

    Paul Guest

    In the manual, under "Integrated Peripherals", I see

    OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled] SB750 ribbon cable IDE
    OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled] SB750 six sata ports total
    OnChip SATA Type [Native IDE] SB750 ports 0..3
    x OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type IDE SB750 ports 4..5
    Onboard ESATA Controller [Enabled] JMB362 two ESATA
    Onboard ESATA Mode [IDE]
    Onboard SATA3 controller [Enabled] Marvell 9128 two SATA 6gbit
    Onboard SATA3 Mode [IDE]
    GSATA RAID Configuration [Press Enter] Mavell 9128 soft RAID capable

    My guess is, it would be the JMB362. I think the Jmicron ROM on my board
    does something similar. When it detects a drive, sometimes the drive
    name will be in green letters. (It uses one color for hard drives, and
    another color for optical drives detected.)

    You have potentially three RAID options on your board.

    1) RAID via SB750 (It appears AMD is using Promise Technology code for that)
    "Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild..." is a line from a Promise prompt.

    2) RAID via ESATA JMB362
    "Press <Ctrl-G> to enter RAID Setup Utility"

    3) RAID via Marvell 9128 (set AHCI mode, then use GSATA RAID line to configure)

    So the RAID setup on the first two items, happens just after the computer
    starts to power up and POST, and you press the magic key combo. The magic key
    combo works, as long as, in a previous BIOS session, the RAID setting in the
    BIOS was enabled and saved.

    The 9128 setup is more "immediate", in the sense that you can do the whole
    thing in the same BIOS page, at the same time.

    *******

    One thing to keep in the back of your mind, with that number of option ROMs,
    is the amount of low memory available when the BIOS is starting.

    On some desktops, there is a 128KB region defined below 640K, which is
    used to hold all "add-on" BIOS modules. Each BIOS module needs memory to
    operate. Each BIOS module goes through two stages - an initial stage,
    where it uses the most memory, followed by a stage where it "shrinks"
    its memory requirement for the reminder of POST. By shrinking, it may
    leave enough for the next module to load.

    From that 128KB, an Nvidia video card might grab 64KB for the VESA BIOS.
    At one time, the Nvidia didn't shrink at all, so might stay at 64KB.
    That leaves 64KB for the three above RAID BIOS options (or the Jmicron
    message you're seeing). If you were to add an actual RAID card to the
    computer, it would have a BIOS code module to load at boot as well.

    This is all fine and good, until the 64KB is exhausted. It is strictly
    first come, first serve. If you ever find a situation, where one
    of those BIOS modules doesn't seem to be loading, you may have used
    up the 64KB left over. In such a case, disable any onboard controller
    code, which you aren't using, and then your add-in card code may
    begin to run for you.

    So as well as shortening POST time, you can also save the low memory
    resource, for usage by some other card at POST.

    I think a LAN chip that supports PXE booting or the like, may also
    consume that memory. That small chunk of memory is pretty busy.
    Thank the PC architecture, for all that "fun" being stuffed below
    640K. You can have gobs of memory plugged into the computer, and
    you're still stuck with puny 128KB limits on that particular kind
    of memory resource.

    *******

    To answer your original question:

    Onboard ESATA Controller [Disabled]

    By the way, the downloadable PDF versions of the user manual, are
    miles ahead of using the paper copy included in the box. The print
    is relatively small in the paper copies, and you have no "search"
    capability. The PDF makes it much quicker to find stuff (assuming
    you own at least one other computer that is currently running).

    The paper copy exists, so you can be on a desert island, and be
    able to complete your build without any other source of info.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 7, 2010

  3. Thank you. Obviously I need to do some studying to
    digest all the good info. There are several issues with the boot
    up and now I have a better idea of who the culprits are.

    KernelDebugger, Aug 7, 2010
  4. Thanks Paul, disabling the Onboard ESata Controller got rid of the Detecting
    Drives; No Drives Found.

    KernelDebugger, Aug 8, 2010