GA-7DXR+ Not Compatible with Windows XP and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Mark & Mary Ann Weiss, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Since June 15th, I have been testing XP Pro on this setup and have not been
    able to get it to play video and audio off the Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
    timeline without stuttering. The audio drops out.

    I got an answer from the Adobe folks to this effect:

    "It's your motherboard. I know because I had one and had to replace it with
    one that uses a SIS 745 chipset, and since then it has been kicking. Try one
    of the Nforce 2 boards, they work pretty well even with Matrox hardware, not
    to mention the natively would work great with a 2600+ and higher Athlon! For
    comparison purposes, I am running an ASUS A7S333 motherboard with 768MB of
    the same ram you have(crucial PC2100), Athlon 2100+, 3 harddrives(100GB WD,
    40GB WD, and 80GB Maxtor), Pioneer AO5, 350 Watt Enermax Power supply,
    Matrox RTX100 Xtreme Pro 1.5, and a Matrox G550 32MB graphic card running
    dual 17" CRT's with no problem whatsoever.

    With that older Gigabyte DX+ I would always get freezes when I hit ESC to
    stop a capture, or it might capture for 10-15 minutes and then freeze up.
    Toss the board like I did, and you will see a dramatic improvement. After
    that, I would start looking at those PCI cards sucking resources, but I
    think the motherboard will work for you. "

    My setup is the following:

    --
    Take care,

    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

    VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
    Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
    Business sites at:
    www.dv-clips.com
    www.mwcomms.com
    www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
    -

    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

    Me Guest

    Your configuration seems to be plenty for the task you are workin
    g on. However in the BIOS if you have 'Top Performance' Enabled, sometim
    es the audio will not function as fast. Try setting in XP your audio manual
    ly for the 66mhz bus speed or turning the 'Top Performance' for your vide
    o card off.

    Me, Jul 25, 2004

  3. I have disabled Top Performance way back when I got this board--it caused
    constant system crashes and BSODs in Windows. My bus speed is at 134MHz. I
    suppose I could try setting it to 133MHz, just for kicks, in case there's
    some odd timing issue causing this. But the response I got on the Adobe
    forum was that the user changed from Gigabyte to a board with a SiS chipset
    and that solved the problem.

    Any other BIOS settings to try? BTW, I'm running the most recent F9 BIOS for
    the 7DXR+.

    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss, Jul 29, 2004
  4. constant system crashes and BSODs in Windows. My bus speed is at 134MHz. I

    'Checked this the other night and is IS on 133MHz. So the speed settings are
    all standard. I must have chosen safe defaults before installing Windows XP.

    No matter what I do, Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and After Effects 6.5 both use
    100% of the CPU when outputting to OHCI devices on this box. The Adobe folks
    think that it's a conflict with the VIA southbridge on the 7DXR+ that's
    causing all this grief. I am just trying to find out if there is a
    documented problem with this particular board and the new Adobe products and
    XP Pro, before I buy a new motherboard of a the kind Adobe recommends.

    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss, Jul 30, 2004